Adult Dog Housetraining Advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Adult Dog Housetraining Advice

I adopted Viktor 21 days ago tomorrow. He's a 3 year old GSD abused rescue. I seems to me he was never properly house trained. He is learning many things he doesn't know... like how to play ball (sad). Now, 3 weeks in and he still had an accident in the house this week. When I got home from work, we went on a long walk. Came home and ate dinner. I waited a little while then took him out for his short evening potty walk. He didn't poop. Waited a bit longer... nothing. Came inside, and while I was changing, he pooped in the dining room I praise and pet him when he goes outside and correct him when there is in inside issue.

Now, I am I just not being patient enough? Is 21 days just not long enough to expect him to learn? Should I wait longer when taking him outside? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Crowned Member

I would do the crate thing just like with a puppy Greg....if he does not relieve himself, crate him after the walk, wait a half hour and take him outside again. Restrict yourself to one corner of your yard - not a walk...repeat "go potty" or whatever mantra you use - no action, crate and repeat.

Punishment (hopefully just a verbal reprimand!) is not effective - the dog must be caught IN THE ACT to understand that you are unhappy with his behavior - pooping wherever as needed is already imprinted and is natural to Victor - it is a behavior that will take some time and dedication to change.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
I would do the crate thing just like with a puppy Greg....if he does not relieve himself, crate him after the walk, wait a half hour and take him outside again. Restrict yourself to one corner of your yard - not a walk...repeat "go potty" or whatever mantra you use - no action, crate and repeat.

Punishment (hopefully just a verbal reprimand!) is not effective - the dog must be caught IN THE ACT to understand that you are unhappy with his behavior - pooping wherever as needed is already imprinted and is natural to Victor - it is a behavior that will take some time and dedication to change.

Lee

Thanks Lee.... your help and advice with helping Viktor has been invaluable and much appreciated.

You are right… all he has known for 3+ years is to poop inside I guess, I will give it more time & try the crate method you discuss. He is bacially a 3 year old puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

Thank you again for giving Viktor a loving and forever home. Just as Wolfstraum has advised they just about have to be treated like a 8 wk old puppy. Work with him and be patient he will come around. My little terrier mix was a rescue from a shelter where she had been the first year of her life and I trained her just like she was a new puppy and with patience it will work. Good luck with your boy.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

Don't leave him un-crated and unsupervised. Housebreaking accidents are always the owner's fault, the dog doesn't deserve to be punished or reprimanded for something he doesn't understand yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Don't leave him un-crated and unsupervised.
Can't watch him every second... but I try.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

It seems to be working... 10 days without an accident in the house!!!
(knock on wood... probably just jinxed myself)

I guess I just needed a little advice, and some extra attention to get him over the edge on this one.

He seems to know when we are going on a potty break rather than a walk... is doing his business and getting a treat. No crating now necessary.

*Greg Knight*
Viktor: 5 year old (DOB: 8/31/2008) GSD rescued 10/15/2011
Everyday, we get closer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Crowned Member

ahhh - still stick to the program....IF he does not potty on a potty break - back in the crate - but glad he is learning! Good Job Greg!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSKnight View Post
Can't watch him every second... but I try.

This is why if I love leashing dogs/puppies to me during house training.... while I do the dishes, read a book, etc.

I used to do a lot of pitbull rescue and house trained a lot of older dogs.

Lee got you going the right way!

| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

BTW, he's very handsome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page