She almost pulled us both into traffic today. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

She almost pulled us both into traffic today.

I am still upset by this mornings events.

I always keep an excellent awareness of my surroundings while walking Stella because there are cars, kids, ducks and cats all to be encountered on our morning bathroom walk.

I hold the leash as I was taught, with the handle in my hand and my fingers clasping over the loop. I have small hands so I can only hold 1 loop securely not 2.

I keep a goody bag of treats with me to put Stella in a look at me or heeling walk while getting past distractions. I keep her on a fur saver choker to give a correction as needed.

Today we were rounding the corner to go back home and I let my guard down for just a bit because I was more concerned to cross the street and I was putting her in a look at me slow down so she would not walk across the street.

The leash was loose. Suddenly a duck flew low over our head towards the main street. Before I even knew what was happening, she pulled me totally around like I was a rag doll. Luckily I still somehow managed to keep the leash in my hand as she was bolting toward the main street where all the cars are very close. We had a small embankment between us. She is pulling me and I am barely able to recover as I said she turned me around. I have to tell you I peed just a little bit in my pants due to the force of this whole event.

I somehow managed not to let go of the leash and got her back on track. I put her in a sit. Scolded her I was so upset. Got home. Put her in a sit again. Scolded her again. She was so amazed to hear the anger in my voice she did not move.

I then went to my room and tears came down my face. I could not believe I almost lost control of my dog and she could of been killed.

Sorry for the rant. I had to let this go. One of the Shutzhund people I am working with is trying to convince me of the benefit of an ecollar for certain situations. After today..I think I may just get one. My dog is strong and I am a small woman and I would never forgive myself if she was killed by a car by getting away from me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

I have read multiple places that a fur saver is not a correction collar. Why not use a prong collar if you need more control? Or a head halter.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella's Mom View Post
I somehow managed not to let go of the leash and got her back on track. I put her in a sit. Scolded her I was so upset. Got home. Put her in a sit again. Scolded her again. She was so amazed to hear the anger in my voice she did not move.

I then went to my room and tears came down my face. I could not believe I almost lost control of my dog and she could of been killed.

Sorry for the rant. I had to let this go. One of the Shutzhund people I am working with is trying to convince me of the benefit of an ecollar for certain situations. After today..I think I may just get one. My dog is strong and I am a small woman and I would never forgive myself if she was killed by a car by getting away from me.
How scary! I'm glad you are both okay. I do have to say though that the second scolding was definitely lost on her and she was likely confused as to why she was being scolded since so much time had passed since the incident.

This is why my dogs walk with a prong. Both can walk without it but Raven especially is much stronger than me and it's extra assurance that if for some reason she tries to go somewhere without me, I'll have control. I'm not sure an e-collar would have helped you in that situation since you were caught so off guard, you'd be struggling to push the button while struggling to catch your balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

I don't have advice other than...don't scold her after she's obeyed a command...
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
How scary! I'm glad you are both okay. I do have to say though that the second scolding was definitely lost on her and she was likely confused as to why she was being scolded since so much time had passed since the incident.

This is why my dogs walk with a prong. Both can walk without it but Raven especially is much stronger than me and it's extra assurance that if for some reason she tries to go somewhere without me, I'll have control. I'm not sure an e-collar would have helped you in that situation since you were caught so off guard, you'd be struggling to push the button while struggling to catch your balance.
Yeah, I thought about that too. Like how in the heck could I handle the remote when all I can do is stay on my feet, hold on to the leash and save her from running headlong into traffic.

I know the second scolding was bad, and scolding when she obeyed the sit command. I was just so shaken up. I did not react well.

Would the prong have stopped her more effectively?

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I don't have advice other than...don't scold her after she's obeyed a command...
Yeah...my mistake...heat of the moment and visibly shaken up.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella's Mom View Post
Would the prong have stopped her more effectively?
Absolutely. (Well, for most dogs anyway.) A prong collar for my dog at least yields an immediate difference in behavior.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
I have read multiple places that a fur saver is not a correction collar. Why not use a prong collar if you need more control? Or a head halter.
Yes, I am seeing that a prong may be a better way to go. I cannot have this happen again.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Absolutely. (Well, for most dogs anyway.) A prong collar for my dog at least yields an immediate difference in behavior.
Cruising the Elite k9 website for one now.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

Whew! I'm glad that in the end everyone is safe at home. Remember sometimes events like this are very good as it reminds us of what could happen in the blink of an eye. It's a good lesson learned.

For me, I'm a big believer in the halti. It has never let me down. Normally the correction the halti gives itself is enough to bring Hondo back to my world. Therefore I'm not pressured into being on red alert 24/7. Which, as in your situation, we all need to be when out with multiple distractions.

I only use the fur saver when I'm giving baths. My dogs are creepers and a small correction reminds them to be still.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page