Separation Anxiety - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Separation Anxiety

Hi all -

Friends of mine dog is having a hard time with there 7-8 month old dog and separation anxiety.

Here is there story. They have come to me to give them some tips and I said I would ask around and post here (I get great advise on this board).

There 7 month old dog is acting crazy when they leave. Yes, my first question is do they crate him. They do. But the problem is he is peeing and pooping in the crate. Yes, my second question is how big is the crate? Just enough for him to turn around him.

My question to you all is how do you train your dog to be calm when your not home and to train them how to appreciate and want to be in their crate.

My things that I already know

Make sure the the crate is just big enough for them to move around and turn around in. Most dogs do not want to pee or poop in there bed

Put treats in their crate and hide them so they see the crate as a positive thing.

Start off only leaving them alone for 15 mins at a time, then 30 mins, then an hour.

How do you beat separation anxiety is my main question, not just crate training?

Any help or advise that you have seen useful please share.

Thanks all for your help

Marty

Patty's Blog ---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Do they crate him when they are home? Like all night? In the bedroom and beside them but crated.

That way the crate is a nice calm and safe place.

If they ONLY crate when they leave the house, that may be some of the issue.

Also, how much REAL exercise, training and socialization is their pup getting. I mean really how many MILES of off leash exercise. And hours of dog class. Plus meet and greets with new people, places, sights, smells, homes, cows, pigs, horses, WHATEVER....

A tired pup, physically and mentally, is much more apt to whine and complain for a bit then just settle and sleep!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

good points there. And I plan on addressing those as well.

Also, what would you do about about the peeing and pooping in his crate. Do you believe the pup getting comfortable in his crate as his home will naturally fix this.

Marty

Patty's Blog ---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Crowned Member

How much training has the dog had?

How much regular exercise does the dog get?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

dog has not had 7 months. Exercise I do not know.

I am going to be working with this dog and all I am doing with this thread is brainstorming ideas.

I know what I want to do but is always good to get others opinions whether I agree or not.

Marty

Patty's Blog ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page