Where to re-start? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Where to re-start?

Gus went through puppy kindergarden. He still knows sit, down, leave it... and so on. Here is my problem... he has never been good at walking on his leash. He pulls constantly. I want to train him to walk beside me on a loose leash and possibly to heel (which to me is almost one in the same). I have been trying to work with him on getting a treat to my left side when he is walking with me and in position in the back yard. When I take him out front though, he does not even acknowledge that I have treats.

I just spent a half hour in the back working with him on 'watch me'. Is this the main thing to get him focused on me when we walk or should I start with something else? Is there other commands he needs to know before we work on heel?

He is smart, ask him how sand paper feels or what the puppy says and he will tell you . Think he just gets too excited when we go out that he wants to drag me everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 PM

backyard= no distractions
front yard = distractions

Yes, focus (engagement) is key to all training. If he/she is not engaged, training just won't work well.

Get it to the point of awesome in the backyard.
Then get a person to sit in a chair in the backyard and again get it to awsome.
Then get someone to sit in the chair and another person to walk back and forth in the yard and again get it to awesome.
Then get a person with a dog in the backyard, and a person walking and a person in a chair with a radio playing and again get it to awesome.

Then try the front yard.

Have you looked into perch training?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

You could try a basic obedience class- there's lots of distractions and he'd be on a lead. I used a prong collar when Stosh started the pulling business and it did the trick. Now that I don't need a formal heel like in class I just say 'with me' and he walks with or without a lead right near me- on either side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Keep going to classes! Fun for you and your pup and you'll learn at the appropriate speed.

Better a few short (2 five minute) sessions in the day then one long (30 minutes was mentioned) session. Want the puppy engaged and wanting to do the 'whatever' So short training with LONG breaks for fun.

Clicker training is best because it means the human is learning too, so not all pressure on the dog not doing it right...

So click this and go have fun! ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...t-puppies.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page