Ivan Balabanov or Leerburg? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ivan Balabanov or Leerburg?

Hi everyone! I hope to get a puppy in 4 months. (fingers crossed!) I would like to get some puppy training DVDS. I like to train with lots of praise, play, clicker, treats and making it fun for both of us, with also use of the prong, as well.

I will be training the puppy for an active obedience companion. (For lack of better term) Also hiking, swimming, pet, and all around buddy!

With that training style in mind..which do you think I would prefer and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

Ivan all the way!!!

Motivate, don't force.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

I have Ivan's first 2 DVDs. I really recommend them for a drivey dog, even if I don't 100% use his methods. I also like clicker training, especially for puppies. But I found, as I train my 4th dog, that I can't use the same method for all of them.

For a young puppy, I'd start with clicker training. It makes training go so fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

Crap- sorry ponyfarm, I forgot about this. You can borrow my Ivan DVDs any time. Just let me know when you wanna get them...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:23 PM

How much are Ivan's DVDs? I've been looking to pick up some good training material.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

go for the Michael Ellis videos.....there is a lot more bang for the buck...and not really dissimilar styles.........the Ivan ones are pretty limited

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
go for the Michael Ellis videos.....there is a lot more bang for the buck...and not really dissimilar styles.........the Ivan ones are pretty limited

Lee
Lee, which ME DVDs do you suggest buying?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Crowned Member

start with the first one - training with food.....then the marker I think is the second one....I have done seminars with both Ivan and Michael....their methods are very similar...but Michael communicates more info rahter than just work dogs like a typical training day - very similar in the videos too....there is more info and substance in the ME videos

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
start with the first one - training with food.....then the marker I think is the second one....I have done seminars with both Ivan and Michael....their methods are very similar...but Michael communicates more info rahter than just work dogs like a typical training day - very similar in the videos too....there is more info and substance in the ME videos

Lee
I kind of feel like Ivan maybe is a great dog trainer, but not a great teacher (of humans, I mean!). I can always tailor the Micheal Ellis info to be more postitive if needed. Thanks for the information!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

You can rent most of them from bowwowflix for $10.95 a month(one at a time rental) for more$ you can rent a few at a time. I think it is great, because I don't want to invest in DVD's but watch them a few times/send them back...get another when that one is returned. I LOVE bwf!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page