Imprinting multiple odors - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Imprinting multiple odors

So for those of you with experience in scent detection of some form or another, what have you found to be the best way to imprint multiple odors on the same dog? Meaning one odor at a time, multiple odors at the same time, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:38 AM

There are two schools of thought. There is (at least) one well know training facility that uses the scent cocktail, when training odors. That is, putting them all together, training the dog to detect the "cocktail". Then at some point, the odors are separated and worked singularly. Probably more trainers introduce and work odors singularly. Having seen both systems used successfully, it's my opinion, it becomes a matter of preference. I've seen and evaluated dogs that have been trained both ways. When done correctly, you can't tell the difference, in the end.

DFrost
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Crowned Member

I've seen done both and agree with D Frost that both can work, and with each dog its a different road. I prefer the single method because it was what we used when I handled a narcotic contraband dog. But I have sheriff officers I train with that do the cocktail method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

For cadaver I do use combos but also like to work with separate odors that they may encounter without the others. Differing volatilities too so I don't want a dog needing to find the subtle odor of bone relying on the more volatile odors of decomp material to get to the bone. Very careful NOT to contaminate clean bone with other odor sources.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I prefer the single method because it was what we used when I handled a narcotic contraband dog.
I too prefer the single method.

DFrost
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everybody.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
For cadaver I do use combos but also like to work with separate odors that they may encounter without the others. Differing volatilities too so I don't want a dog needing to find the subtle odor of bone relying on the more volatile odors of decomp material to get to the bone. Very careful NOT to contaminate clean bone with other odor sources.

Absolutely. I have never been an advocate of the cocktail method because at some point, the dog must be capable of finding the single target odor. Scent the dog on the strongest odor,have a realiable search pattern and final trained response then add the other odors. I have seen some real problems with the cocktail method especially contaminating everything
For example contaminating old bone with decomp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page