What kind of training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What kind of training

What types of training would you suggest for a person (lets say it's me ) who owns a GSD who just wants it to be a well behaved, well rounded, friendly dog?

I don't plan on showing, breeding, working or anything of the sort (well I know I can't because he's not registered). He's just going to be an old fashioned family dog, but I want to do right by him.

What would be good for him?

I'm not sure what is all offered in my area, but I plan to look into it.

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Start with basic obedience classes. If you decide at some point that you'd like to try some fun sport with him, you can do that at any time, but you'll want that foundation of the basics first, and it may also be a prerequisite for whatever else you decide to do.

I've never competed in anything so far, but I've taken agility classes with a previous dog, I'm currently taking scentwork classes with both dogs, and Halo recently started dock diving and is doing great in her flyball classes. Try some stuff if it sounds interesting to you, and see if he has an aptitude for it.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

Personally, if I had one dog that I wanted to train to be a good obedient dog, I'd take a class starting in basic ob(because you usually can't take others with out that one first in a training center) then I'd do agility or move on to more formal ob or rally...on my own to build the bond and learn more about my dog, I would track him/her. Tracking is just you and your dog(it hardly costs a thing to do) and is great for bonding.
As far as training class goals, the recall is a must and engagement with the handler(not the other dogs or people). I would work on building/capping drive and get the pup to focus on me as my goals. If you achieve that, you can do so much...the foundation that you laid is strong to go on to other venues if you so choose.

Just because your pup isn't registered, doesn't mean you can't compete....you can get an ILP registration thru AKC( dog has to be altered)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I do plan on puppy training & obedience (our local vet offers 2 basic classes I believe) for sure.
Forgive my stupidity, but what is rally & recall?

- Berleen -

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

STAR puppy class, then basic obedience and/or a CGC (canine good citizen) class.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

Rally is a type of obedience/stations designate what the next command will be.
Recall is when you call your dog to come to you, and the foundation that you do with this can be life-saving.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Definitely start with basic obedience. That is the foundation for everything. After doing a couple of levels of that, you can look into other things that your dog might be good at.

Most dogs can be trained to do any sport, but if you're not into serious competition, I would look into the sports that suit your dog. For example, with my Dax, he is insanely fast, loves jumping and willing to do anything, so we put him into Agility. Rally just wouldn't suit his nature even though I am sure if we worked at it he could do it.

Recall is getting your dog to come back to you off leash when you call him. Rally-O is basically like an obedience competition, requires a lot of focus for your dog.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

I would do obedience and work up to the CGC.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I would do obedience and work up to the CGC.
I agree, although my dog will never pass CGC. You seem to be looking for a nice, well-behaved dog. There is no need for agility or schutzhund or any of that unless YOU are interested in them. They can be costly and very time-consuming. Many people on this forum (and this is NOT a criticism) are very much into dogs and training as a hobby. Not everyone is and they(we) are happy to have good canine companions that fit into our family and the world at large .... and that is all we want.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
I agree, although my dog will never pass CGC. You seem to be looking for a nice, well-behaved dog. There is no need for agility or schutzhund or any of that unless YOU are interested in them.
Thats kind of why I am asking. I don't really have any interest in a whole bunch of training but I'd like him to have something.
What makes a dog not pass CGC?

Quote:
Many people on this forum (and this is NOT a criticism) are very much into dogs and training as a hobby. Not everyone is and they(we) are happy to have good canine companions that fit into our family and the world at large .... and that is all we want.
Which is why I am still posting like a madwoman on this forum! I respect those who have done so much with their dogs and the accomplishments that they have, but then there are just the simple ones like me who just want a good dog And everyone is welcoming of both!

(although sometimes I think I ask too many questions! )

- Berleen -

Last edited by Kittilicious; 10-05-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page