Got our CGC...next step?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Got our CGC...next step??

Scarlett passed her CGC without any issues yesterday. What is my next step if we wish to train her to be a therapy dog? The girl who administered the CGC suggested TDI.com (or something like that). Ultimately, I'd like to have Scarlett go through CHKD's therapy dog certification (children's hospital has their own program for dogs that work for them).

What do you suggest as a course plan for us?

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on what group is in your area. Therapet is probably the most active where I am. I'd call the childrens' hospital you're interested in working with and ask them. Congrats on the CGC!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Elite Member

I sgree, see what group is in your area. One I have heard of here is Love on a Leash. you can google it for more info.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned

Our club tests for CGC and TDI on the same day. TDI is like an insurance provider that makes sure your dog is safe and then provides some insurance against minor things that may happen (such as a scratch or a bump). Once you have that certification I think its up to you to go to a hospital or school and see if they want your services or not. There may be organizations in your are that will "place" you into businesses that want your assistance, and a TDI will just show them your dog has passed certain requirements and has a temperment suited for therapy work.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Our club tests for CGC and TDI on the same day. TDI is like an insurance provider that makes sure your dog is safe and then provides some insurance against minor things that may happen (such as a scratch or a bump). Once you have that certification I think its up to you to go to a hospital or school and see if they want your services or not. There may be organizations in your are that will "place" you into businesses that want your assistance, and a TDI will just show them your dog has passed certain requirements and has a temperment suited for therapy work.

Thanks. That explains it. I am looking to work with her at CHKD or the hospital I work at. OK, so the TDI is accepted at both places, so I will contact the hospitals and see what further testing they require. I understand that either a dog is suited for therapy work or isn't. If she ultimately isn't suited, we'll go on just being a pack.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

TDI is a registering organization.

Their test is very similar to the CGC, which you already took, but with additional test points. Once you have passed their test, they require you and your dog to become a member - this requires you to send in a health form for your dog as well.

They DO provide insurance for you and your dog during visits, both liability and medical for you. If something happens during a visit, such as your dog scratching or bumping someone, that is covered. But you're covered for some medical expenses, too, should something happen to you during a visit or going to/from a visit. I believe the liability is $3,000,000 currently, but would have to go look at the paperwork to be sure.

They also help you get started with visits by sending you a list of facilities in your area that currently have TDI dogs visit them, and information on a TDI chapter (a group that visits together at the same time) in your area if there is one. They will also send you information brochures you can give to nursing homes, hospitals, etc. in your area that don't currently have visits so you can see about setting them up.

They're very helpful in getting new programs set up in places that don't currently have them, as they will provide their suggested protocols to you if you ask.

A lot of places also have their own local Therapy Dog organizations and their requirements will vary widely in regards to testing, certification, and required supervised visits. If CHKD has its own program, I would get in touch with them and see what their requirements are and how they do their visits.

If you go through TDI, be aware that they only cover you under their insurance if you are there as a volunteer, not if you bring your dog to work. But they now have (or are working on) guidelines for professionals who will be bringing their TDI dogs as part of their work.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Abby, Thanks! I know CHKD does have their own test and program. I would never be able to bring Scarlett to work with me, so I only require insurance when I am handling her as a therapy dog, correct? So the TDI "vetts" her out to see if her temperment is alright to pursue the Therapy dog programs? I think I understand it all now.

Other than nursing homes, hospitals, hospice programs (another area I would consider volunteering at), schools with reading programs with dogs (NOT that popular around here..at least I have never heard of one)...where else do Therapy dogs go? Where else can Scarlett go with me?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

Some members of out obedience club visit schools and talk about responsible pet ownership and give a basic obedience demo and show the importance of training. The kids really enjoy it and teachers have had them come out as a reward for the class.

Just something to keep in mind- some therapy groups have restrictions about feeding raw- food, bones, anything raw because of concerns regarding contamination to patients.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Stosh, no issues with feeding raw. We feed quality kibble and wet food with a splash of fish oil.

I did read something about CHKD and raw...I didn't pay attention, since it does not currently apply to us. Thanks for the heads up though. At least I understand WHY they have some issues.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

I would contact the program you mentioned locally and ask for a description of their test/requirements. If you think your dog is ready for the test, go for it. If not, work on training or look for an intermediate/advanced obedience class or a therapy dog training class in your area.

Also keep in mind that TDI does not allow membership if you belong to any other therapy groups/organizations. If the local hospital has their own test/certification they may be considered another group.
Some local programs may use TDI or other national tests in order to test for their program, others have their own tests/insurance/certifications.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page