Starting to let your GSD out of the crate unattended - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
DTS
Master Member

Starting to let your GSD out of the crate unattended

hello,
jasmine is now 19 months old. we crate her when gone but my hubby feels it isnt fair for her to be in the crate for 8 hours while gone which i agree. However, we have tried to leave her out before when she turned about a year old. We stated just letting ehr out in the bedroom and would leave for 10-15 mins thru out the day and come back and when she was good we would praise and treat. it got to the point where we could leave her when gone but at that point it would be 4 hours 6 at the max.that lasted a month and then she started ripping up her bed and ripping the tv cord out of the wall and eating the wooden arm of the futon all from being bored. Since we arent home to excersise her during this time i felt it was safe for everyone if she returned to being crated.
Well now he wants to try again and I am wondering if we can approach this differently. I want to get a few of the pannels of an x pen and put them around the things that she loves to chew on which can be dangerous so she cant get to them. But now im wondering if bored enough during the day if she would find other things like the wall or the cabnets etc to chew on Is there anything that she could play with during the day that can be done unsupervised?
I don't really like the idea of leaving toys or bones with her unsupervised.
And of course exsercising her before we leave is a must.
but i also kind of feel she is still mentally too young to handle being out
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreaciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Elite Member

There are things that are safe depending on your dog but dear lord I'd be bored out of my mind too. Having the entire house and having nothing to mess with is rather hard. In their crate they have no option but to go to sleep in the house they have a ton of stuff to do so are gonna occupy themselves how they see fit and if you dont leave anything for them they are going to find it one way or another. Is she a really bad chewer can she get pieces off the black kongs? I would leave some filled kongs and the kong balls and stuff for her to play with possibly a looong raw marrow bone but try her at home first and see if shes a powerful chewer thats going to take pieces off of it.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
DTS
Master Member

the kong itself is the only thing so far she hasnt torn pieces off of and we will definately try that. every other toy even those made by kong have not survived in our house lol. She does love bones although she has torn pieces off before can that be dangerous to her? we have filled the bones with yogurt and frozen them before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

find someone to come and give her a break
when you're gone for 8 hours. start house breaking her.
leave the house her out of the crate for 10 to 15 minutes
and then return home. start staying away from the house
longer and longer. my dog was out of his crate at 4 months
old. that worked fine untill he was 8 months old. at 8 months old
he wanted to chew on everything in the house. i crated him untill
he was 1.5 yrs old. since then he's been fine out of the crate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Do you have a spare room that you could puppy-proof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page