post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

CGC failure (pending)

Abby and I are going to classes for CGC. It is likely that she will pass
all the sub-tests but fail the one that requires me to leave her with
someone and go out of sight for 3 minutes. I am not so sure that I
mind that. After reading about the stolen GSD, I am glad that she
does not like to stay or go with someone else. Since she handles all
other tests well I will consider her a success even though she is not certified.
I would be glad to get any more opinions on this. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM

I'm planning to have mine tested next month too and Kaiser's going to fail the separation part. He can be handed off but he'll whine his head off. Even if it's someone he knows, he still fusses the first time I walk away. Raven is used to being handed off to people.

I've heard it helps to give a command... tell her to stay which should mean stay put and quiet until you return. You can practice this at home. The classes should help you practice leaving her with a friendly stranger.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have a working search dog and I regularly have to hand him off to other people and he goes willingly. It also makes life at the vet etc easier.

He does not go if I do not make a handoff. I think what happened there with the dog being stolen the way it was is more the exception than the rule.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I have a working search dog and I regularly have to hand him off to other people and he goes willingly. It also makes life at the vet etc easier.

He does not go if I do not make a handoff.
Nancy, Do you have a specific word you use to let him know he should go willingly?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

No but I hand the lead over. He seems to understand the handoff.

Anyone on our team needs to be able to take him from his crate too, but if we are in a bad place on a search I lock it. He goes pretty ballistic in the truck if he does not know you.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

I don't really like this test item either. Yes I hand off my dogs to other people and they are fine but never a stranger as the test indicates. But anyway, I generally train this as an obedience exercise - a long down. So in the dog's mind, s/he is just doing a down with me out of sight. It is about the obedience to them and not about being "abandoned" with a complete stranger. I ask the "stranger" not to touch or talk to my dog and I tell my dog to down/platz. At home I just practice long downs while I leave the room, walk around the house, etc.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Crowned Member

Jane (onyx'girl) had a fantastic idea for training the supervised separation drill in this thread:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post2053706

Her advice is what I used with my girl, who was (just slightly) able to pass. I'm with you- there's not a chance I'd hand my dog to a stranger "in real life" and walk away for 3 mins. I was able to teach the behavior just enough to pass. I"m ok with that.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Knighted Member

I want to get Lakota retested in January, I am lucky she was ok with the stranger. She's just not fond of being petted on top of her head she'll pull her ears flat and close her eyes like I beat her or something. I have taught my dogs "you wait here" when I am doing something that I can't have them come with me, they know I am continuing with what I am doing without them. I would rather use something like that because if you tell them stay and they break.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for all your input and advice. It is very helpful to get your experience and
perspective. In class the instructor said not to use any command, to just hand
her off. I was out of the room 10 seconds and Abby was dragging the instructor
towards me. I will try all of your training tips.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 AM

This is one we had to work on also. The best suggestion I can give to you is keep trying and hopefully with time she will get more familar with the fact you are coming back . Everyones situation is different but being in a more rural area I would walk to the grocery store, hand her off to a worker taking a break and do a quick shopping trip. It worked for us.

All the best,
Pam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page