How NOT to train your dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Crowned Member

How is a dog supposed to know who's boss if youre not holding him down until he squeels?! Some people are so clueless!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's why I like the first video. Kind of shows the dog not understanding what you are talking about, with the added bonus of showing the "trainer" as looking like a giant tool.

I think I'll post that video whenever someone asks about the alpha roll Sometimes it takes a completely over the top dramatization to show people whats the look like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but what is the alpha roll? Is it referring to how someone puts their dog into a submissive position or does it mean alpha "role"?

~Brianna~
Proud mom to:
♥Kiva-3yr old female black&tan GSD♥
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

♥Felony Hit-N-Run a.k.a "Felon"- 5 month old male GSD♥
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

It's forcefully putting the dog in a submission position to gain the dogs respect. You (or anyone) is better off not even knowing the idea exists.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Banned

But sometimes, in the right hands (pro who knows what they are doing) it actually does work to put a stop to unwanted behavior. In my case with my dog (3.5 yo male GSD) he was very very aggressive with another male GSD in our Saturday get together (and so we thought that the other was with him also).

We brought them together first on leash then off and loose (both securely muzzled of course).
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

All methods and techniques of behavoir modication will work with the "right" dog, and all methods and techniques will be unsuccessful with the "wrong" dog. Now if you are not savy enough to recognize if you have the right dog, then you probably shouldn't be doing the more aversive techniques...JMO.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

try that more aversive methods have their place. Even an alpha roll, in some situations, can be successful - as long as the person doing it is prepared for the consequences if the dog decides not to submit. But it's a matter of the right technique at the right time

In the context used in the video (and how must advocates say to use the alpha roll) it's like using a sledgehammer to hang a picture. You'll get the nail in the wall, but you might knock a hole in the drywall in the process.
I've seen a lot of people encourage that you should alpha roll a dog several times a day from puppyhood to ensure that it doesn't get "dominant" ideas. Or if the dog has an accident in the house - he's being dominant, you need to alpha roll. Or if the dog isn't responding fast enough in training, then alpha roll him.

I won't even touch the idea of rubbing a dog's face in poop to teach him not to soil in the house
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Knighted Member

These clips should be shown on the first night of a beginners dog training class.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 07:42 PM

I can't help but chuckle at the videos.So messed up.....My dogs were looking at me like WTF when playing the video,and then my youngest sat with the ''sitzen''(I think she was hoping if she sat-he'd shut up! lol)

~*
*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page