I'm feeling more confident - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I'm feeling more confident

Dakota has had some issues with dogs. At 16 months she pinned a poodle in class that was ticking her off throughout the classes. No damage done but we were kicked out of classes after 4 levels.

So off it a behaviorist I go. Worked on classical conditioning, group walks, classes and private lessons. Drove an hour each way for many months. Graduated to regular obedience but I dislike the drive and decided it was too far. With regrets I stopped.

Dakota is now 3. After 8 months of no classes I'm missing it. So I found a trainer that offers drop in classes 15 min away. And he accepts dogs with issues. We passed his test and started class.

His position is that if a dog has issues during the class the entire class works with that dog. If a dog snarls, snaps or lunges at another dog he addresses it by walking the two dogs closer and closer to each other and finally having them sit side by side. In My old class we made sure the dogs were not close to each other and never addressed the behavior.

Dakota is doing great. Had one issue when another dog went off on her when we entered the room but she did not react, haclke or show stress back but stayed nicely beside be where the other dog was walked close to her. But being the bitch she is and does not forget that when we did a come exercise with these two dogs she tried to go after him. We were set up for this possibility and her actions were stopped. So now Dakota is walked closer and closer to this dog and eventually the two of them are sitting side by side. Rest of the class we did mingled heeling and not one single issue.

Last nights class was great and we did come exercises between dogs. Perfect both as the sit/ stay dog and the dog in motion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Forgot to add that I'm feeling more confident and I'm sure it is going right down the leash.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Knighted Member

That's great! Keep up the good work .

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

Very wise of you to get Dakota back to class- most people would think it was too much trouble and never go again, which just perpetuates the problem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Great that you didn't give up on her and gave her a second chance.
Hope you both have fun with it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Knighted Member

Great news, and thank you, you give me hope

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Good job! I'm happy for you!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Master Member

Nice work! I too have found that approaching situations, rather than avoiding them, is key. It's probably a global thing about life in general too

But with my dog I have found that if I am actively seeking opportunities to get closer to other dogs, then that mindset (and the behavior/feelings that follow) makes the "problem" seem like not such a big deal. It makes it more of a challenge than a threat, and as you said, that mindset travels down the leash.

May I ask about the method -- what does your trainer have you do when your dog lunges etc. at another dog? Do you keep them there and correct them, or do you take him further out then work back in closer?

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP Dana.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I've been on a few days vacation and just got back, unfortunately I missed last nights class.

To answer your question ucdcrush. we take the dogs futher out then work them back in closer, praising for good behaviour. We then get the dogs sitting side by side facing the oposite direction. The instructor is watching for signs that the dog if the dog is stressed or is giving signs of thinking about reacting. If the dog looks like they are going to take a sniff we give a small correction. Once the dog faces each other they are both focusing on their handler, all without a verbal correction or cue to "watch me".

If a dog lunges at another dog, he will have that lunging dog approach the dog he reacted to, which is in a sit stay beside the handler. The lunging dog is taken out further and slowing walked closer and closer to this dog.

Then he would either do scramble heeling with all the dogs, or put the dog in a down stay while the other dogs walked around this dog, starting out in a big circle gradually getting closer and closer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page