Size of class? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Size of class?

I'm just curious because I started basic obedience training with my pup, but was surprised at how big the class was. What would you say is the standard size of a class for something like this? Is 10-12 people too much you think?

Anyways, just started, there are 11 people in the class at the moment. Luna has basic commands down for now and her focus is really good without distractions, but at the class today it was super hard to get her to pay attention to me when she just was more interested in the other puppies. I know I really need to work on focus drills and recall with her, but do you think it's bad to have such a large class? The place let me have the first class free to determine if I liked it or not, and the people seem really knowledgeable and good with the dogs, but I"m concerned Luna will not pick anything up because there are too many people. Maybe I'm not used to the big class? (Her puppy class before this only had 3 other dogs in it). I have a week to decide if I want to go back for another one and pay for it, so I wanted to know about others experiences with number of dogs in classes!

Luna: GSD puppy rescue
Niki: 12 yo Shih tzu/ lhasa apso mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Master Member

How many trainers are working the class? If it's just one trainer, that class is way too big. If it's a trainer and an apprentice (or another trainer) you'll probably be ok and the socialization opportunity would make me want to stay... but it's not worth the time/money if there is only one trainer handling a class that size.

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

Not everyone that starts will stay with it so you might not have that many for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

You are the one training the dog. The trainer is just telling you what to do, so
I don't see the class as being too big. They usually only train one or two things
per class and give you each personal attention so that you can work on it
properly at home. If the trainer was training the 11 dogs then there wouldn't
be enough time but that scenario is highly unlikely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page