BH Training - with a lunatic - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

BH Training - with a lunatic

Started training my now 15 month old gsd about a month and a half ago for his BH- the trainer who is European is well known was once a judge and does work for some popular kennels for quick titling- we used him in 08 and had some of the same issues.
He uses very harsh methods on the dogs he is training by my standards and probably the ASPCA- shock collars are ok within reason but not to cripple the dog to its feet. Problem is I am the handler of my showline and am a perfectionist in most issues in life but my 2 gsds are a HOBBY and as such are supposed to be fun.
On the training field he becomes totally verbally abusive in a derogatory way to me- no constructive criticsm just nasty remarks-on and on- ironically off the field he is quite pleasant- FINALLY Tuesday with the trials a week away on his field I emailed him to the effect that he must curtail this abusive treatment of me the paying client or we must stop training.
His response was thanks for the email.

If this is the standard in the sport world leave me out- imagine a tennis coach or golf instructor screaming at you everytime you miss a shot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM

sounds like it's time to find a new trainer...Are you in Florida training or here in CT?

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Training here in Mansfield Ct.- very frustrating since we put all this time/effort/$ into getting this done here in Ct.- another club in Pomfret thas a trial 9/25 but can not membership into DVG in time to get it done.
Thsi has been one PIA. T
he head of the club in Pomfret knows him well and says what do you expect he is European but admits that is changing even there. She is his friend but would never train with him.

I get my black wl pup from Drache Feld when I get back to Fla.- he is almost 3 months old already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

Old style training - with a German.....why are you surprised ??? Get your BH and move on!

So you are getting one of the Nick pups???

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes- I bought/ paid for him back in august and one of Charlie Starrs trainers is boarding/housebreaking/training him until I get to Florida when I can receive him in two weeks-his trainer is getting very attached to him- she also has 2 other dogs-then the fun will begin with my other 2 gsds in Fla.- luckily my 15 month old male is still very dog friendly- very good temperment as the above Romanian trainer says.
I will have to do BH in Florida this fall it would seem. this set back my whole schedule for him.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 PM

I feel your pain. I had 4 bad trainer experiences in a row...which is why we gave up on "formal training", completely. I don't think I'd even try it, again, which really stinks since the training was one of the main reasons I got Sheva.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Lyz

My trainer and close friend is a bit like that as well. He's extremely competitive and he's aware that I'm a perfectionist in handling. Unfortunately, because of this combination, even small mistakes I make (like moving my hand when I say "bring" - the dumbbell) is met with derogatory remarks akin to "You know better."

That said, I really don't mind and it doesn't phase me anymore. My horseback riding trainer is the same way - brutally critical, especially before a competition, where her name is "on the line" so to speak.

Anyway, if it's too much or you can't tolerate it, have you thought of traveling or seeking out a different trainer? Abusive trainers do not good dogs make. Most of the best trainers I've met are incredibly personable and friendly, this transfers over to their training methods as well. It's one thing to get a Schutzhund III. It's another thing to get your III with a 280!

I'm in Las Vegas and I travel to California to train almost every weekend. It's $150 in gas, but a 2-3 day trip to California has paid for itself by the caliber of training alone. Something I could never recieve locally.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Master Member

There is nothing more satisfying than meeting with that trainer, looking him right in the eye, and saying "You're fired."

As the old Alka-Selzter commercial used to say, "Try it; you'll like it."

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Knighted Member

I have trained with some outstanding trainers who literally wiped the floor with me. Didn't like it much but I will say, I learned more from those people than anyone else. People say the same thing about me at times. Many people involved in SchH now simply want to" have fun". They are not as interested in really learning. I know, everyone will now say " Oh I want to learn!" but most only want to learn a certain way. Sometimes, the best knowledge is not delivered in a way we all like. It can be "uncomfortable". There is a personality type that goes hand in hand with successful people or people who are really good at something and who have spent their life learning it. Most of those people can't stand to see it done "wrong" and I personally, feel for the dogs when I watch people making one mistake after the other.

Also, the best helpers I have ever worked with all had a certain type of personality. They play the part when they are working dogs and therefore, you might just get yelled at. Unless you are someone who does helper work well, you might not understand what I am saying. It is simply not possible to be "in character" and then come out of it for those few seconds to instruct the handler. I will say this. When I am not all over what you are doing, it is because I don't care. I always tell people, worry when I stop talking....or yelling for that matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

The TD in my SAR team is also a lot like that. I really feel sorry for those poor applicants when they just join the team... He is an ex Air Force officer and tends to forget it is a team and not a regiment.

Recently we talked about how he treats handlers, not that I matter that much how the crew feels either, but all that pressure he puts into them goes down the leash and you end up with stressed dogs. That I do care. Just like with your e-mail, his answer was "I don't think so" and walked away. But later I remembered him the subject with a serie of nasty jokes, we had a serious talk and, if he has not changed, at least walks away when he feels he is about to explode, LOL!

But he is also the kind of guy you have to earn his respect. It had been years from the last time he yelled at me, but on the contrary, he asks for my opinion more and more often. Knowing him, it by itself makes me more proud than the compliments of a hundred of people.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1

Last edited by Catu; 09-15-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page