Games for my GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Games for my GSD

Can anyone give me some list of games I could play with my dog?and please state how would this benefit him.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

This is an awfully vague question. If you're not sure of the value of playing games with your dog, why are you asking for a list? Do you play with your dog now? How old is s/he? What kind of training have you done with it so far? What motivates your dog?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Playing with your dog helps you bond with your dog with any game you play. Cassidy is right your question is too vague. No reason to have a dog if you do not want to play with him. Not that I'm saying you do not play with your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Master Member

I concur with Stufefy's question. It's not that you don't love and interact with your dog, but you want specific descriptions of games you can play. For instance, I spent time every night with Liesl playing with her, tummy rubbing, ear scratching, etc. But I had an epiphany when I read the thread about hiding a treat in a muffin tin and covering the cups with tennis balls to make her look for it. I'd never have thought of that on my own, but I'm thankful for the poster who suggested that. I first learned of a flirt stick reading about it here--again, a great idea that I wouldn't have divined on my own.

So--what are some specific games you play with your dogs? Inside games that aren't active like chasing a ball, but require them to work their minds? Outside games that allow them to track scents, use their hearing, etc? I think this first poster deserves some better responses than just "be more specific."

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM

This page has a list of good and bad games: <> DIAMONDS in the RUFF - Training For Dogs & Their People - Good Games / Bad Games <>

I hope that helps!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure if by playing games you mean tricks, but if so, you could buy this trick dvd: LoLaBu Land Experience Tricks

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
I concur with Stufefy's question. It's not that you don't love and interact with your dog, but you want specific descriptions of games you can play. For instance, I spent time every night with Liesl playing with her, tummy rubbing, ear scratching, etc. But I had an epiphany when I read the thread about hiding a treat in a muffin tin and covering the cups with tennis balls to make her look for it. I'd never have thought of that on my own, but I'm thankful for the poster who suggested that. I first learned of a flirt stick reading about it here--again, a great idea that I wouldn't have divined on my own.

So--what are some specific games you play with your dogs? Inside games that aren't active like chasing a ball, but require them to work their minds? Outside games that allow them to track scents, use their hearing, etc? I think this first poster deserves some better responses than just "be more specific."
I am going to look for those threads
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8270 View Post
This page has a list of good and bad games: <> DIAMONDS in the RUFF - Training For Dogs & Their People - Good Games / Bad Games <>

I hope that helps!
This is a great list. SO glad I chanced on this thread. Thanks for posting it!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Knighted Member

We were told about the muffin tin game by our obedience trainer. We also play find it. We hide toys or treats throughout the house and he has to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page