A good article about growling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

A good article about growling

Thank your dog for growling - Orlando Dog Training and Behavior | Examiner.com

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks, its a good article, i think there are variables with this like anything else.............

url
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiebrown View Post
Thanks, its a good article, i think there are variables with this like anything else.............
Very true!

Here is a piece of the article:

"Dobie's growling was a way of telling his owner, "I am afraid of these children who come by while we are on a walk." It was also his way of telling the children, "Please get away from me." "

Like many people that we have met and talked to about this subject, the author seems to indicate that the only reason for a growl (or snap or bite) is that "the dog is afraid". Definetily not always the case with all dogs.

If anyone thinks so I would welcome them to come and see my dog or one of my frinds pits and see if they are afraid.

Sometimes they are just being aggrssive or want to be dominant or they may think that someone is going to take something away from them or get too close to their space.

I can attest without hesitation that sometimes, for some dogs, a firm correction (however delivered) will and does work! Just yesterday i was training with a pro trainer and a friend and his GSD who does not get along whatsoever with my dog. At the end of the session we had the two dogs walking and laying next to each other off leash and with no reaction whereas before the correction we had a couple of incidents where they wanted to kill each other. So at least sometimes with some dogs, a PROPER level correction does work!

Different tools and techniques for different dogs and problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

YES! Codmaster, i totally agree that you need to know what your working with for a dog........Some dogs also do the growl/lunge thing because its become a learned behavior, gets them what they want........

i actually do have a young male that is a very insecure dog genetically........he's been socialized, desensatized, Obed trained etc.............he has issues with people even the ones he knows well..........people will argue that its not a good idea to correct him for growling at people, but, because he will Never be trusted, i am the one that needs to take control of his actions, so all depending on the cicumstances i will correct him for doing it, for him its become more of a learned behavior and a tking over behavior, and is something that needs to be addressed with correction........being the dog he is being of unpredictable nature this route works for him.......growling is a pre-curser to a bite so you darn well better know what you have for a dog, figure out why he's doing it, and chose the right course of action.....

url
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 AM

Agree 100% groweling is not always fearfull. My 14 month old male would become a true monster if his groweling were not corrected. My club trainers as well as a trainer we had in from Europe all said my male was dominant period and to make sure I was always the leader. NILF was not enough to convence him of this. A dog laying in your way that has a means to "escape" that just lays there, rolls his eyes at you and rumbles deep in his chest is not a fearfull dog. He just told you that this is his spot and you need to go find your own. Sorry there old chap but as long as I buy your food, pay your flea and tick treatment and carry you 200 miles round trip so you can bite someone with a sleeve you are not going to tell me where I can and can not go AND I have no problems explaining the concept to you till you understand perfectly!!! LoL
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
I don't believe I've ever heard Shasta growl, come to think of it. Lots of barking and lunging, though!

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Banned

Very true! I got one of those "not fearful" dogs as well. He does need a reminder every now and then about who is in charge.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Crowned Member

very interesting....

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

I tell people that all the time! You want the growl.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Like many people that we have met and talked to about this subject, the author seems to indicate that the only reason for a growl (or snap or bite) is that "the dog is afraid". Definetily not always the case with all dogs.
The growl may not always be because of fear but it is always a warning. And this says it all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
I tell people that all the time! You want the growl.
If your dog is growling, you need to figure out why and address it. And heed the warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page