Beginning Dog Aggression - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Beginning Dog Aggression

Hondo will be two next month. He is a well behaved, aloof dog who is still intact. He has a high tolerance to most things. I haven't found anything (besides a toothbrush) that he is afraid of. He is a very confident dog. On leash he is non reactive to everything. He might focus on a cat, but will not attempt to chase. On a leash, he will not acknowledge another dog and stay focused on me.

We are in the country. Occassionally there will be a stray dog who comes on to our property. In the past if a dog comes on our property I could control Hondo off leash. Once the dog sees Hondo and hears the other dogs barking it'll high tail it.

Within the past few weeks, Hondo has now started to become reactive. Only off leash, and only on our place. He will chase and ignore the recall until the dog is off the property. Only then he'll turn around and come back to me. It is only a matter of time before he'll continue the chase.

More suprising to me is yesterday he attacked my older Golden during a thunderstorm when the Golden (who is afraid of thunder) jumped up and tried to hide behind me while I sat on a porch swing. I was between the dogs. Never has he done this before. Hubby was there and snatched him before anyone was injured. Remaining on the porch, with the Golden hiding behind hubby, I worked Hondo...hard. Not allowing him to focus at all on the Golden. I provided a lot of rewards to Hondo while hubby hand fed the Golden.

I spoke to my trainer, and she wants him back in training. Which is what I'm leaning towards. He does have a foot injury that requires for me to limit his exercise.

Can anyone see anything that I might be missing? Taking him back to training is a win/win for both of us. But I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Knighted Member

You're doing the right thing, there is nothing better than going back to training. My Zeus was like that at that age, they will try and try to be the boss. You have to let him know his behavior is not acceptable, period. He has to absolutely respect your Leave It command.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Elite Member

It sounds like he's just maturing. It's not really that unusual for GSDs to be territorial of their property with strange dogs. I would just keep him on a very long line while outside so that you can enforce your recall if need be. Is your Golden a male or female?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
It sounds like he's just maturing. It's not really that unusual for GSDs to be territorial of their property with strange dogs. I would just keep him on a very long line while outside so that you can enforce your recall if need be. Is your Golden a male or female?
Golden is a neutered male, 11 years old. Hondo has never bullied him, and always submits to him. I do think there is an element of Hondo not understanding why Tug (the Golden) was reacting in a frightened way (thunder storm), hubby and I acting excitedly because we were finally getting some rain, that moment to attempt to gain the upper hand. I also think there was an element of resource guarding hubby and I.

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds exactly like Stosh! I mean exactly- except he's never made contact with another dog on our property. He silently rushes them with all his fur up and charges and they leave, he comes back all proud of himself. I'm working like crazy on the recall and stated teaching 'woah'. He's supposed to stop what he's doing then come when I tell him to. It's working more often than not but we're a long way from success.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

This sounds exactly like Stosh- and he's 20 mos old. The 3 times a dog has come onto our property, he silently charged with all his fur up- 2 of the dogs turned and ran, one stood his ground until Stosh pounced towards him and he left. He's never made contact with a dog just rushed them. I'm starting to teach 'woah' which means he's supposed to stop, then come back to me. It's beginning to work but we're no where need success. I'm glad to hear it's part of the maturing process- he's always been a very late bloomer. Back to training for us on the 24th.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Within the past few weeks, Hondo has now started to become reactive. Only off leash, and only on our place. He will chase and ignore the recall until the dog is off the property. Only then he'll turn around and come back to me. It is only a matter of time before he'll continue the chase.
That's actually better than Shasta did when we had a coyote in the yard. She chased it to the property line and stopped but it was before 7:00 a.m. and she was barking like the world was ending...woud NOT shut up. I ended up having to drag her back to the house. She did NOT want to leave that property line unprotected.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Sounds exactly like Stosh! I mean exactly- except he's never made contact with another dog on our property. He silently rushes them with all his fur up and charges and they leave, he comes back all proud of himself. I'm working like crazy on the recall and stated teaching 'woah'. He's supposed to stop what he's doing then come when I tell him to. It's working more often than not but we're a long way from success.
Because of Hondo's foot - he isn't as fast as the other dogs. And I'm really only talking about a just a few occassions. But there was a dog that Hondo suprised - we didn't even see him till we were nearly right on him. He was a large white dog - it did turn to run but Hondo body slammed it. Full force. Knocked the dog over, - I was running towards them at first screaming 'Leave it!' then turned and ran towards the house hoping Hondo would follow screaming 'Puppy! Puppy! Puppy!'. Hondo did follow - but I think it was more out of suprise he caught the dog then it was obeying a command.

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Master Member

Could the attack toward your Golden have been due to pain (on your shepherd's part? Since he does have a hurt foot?)

As far as the increased reaction to stray dogs on your property, sounds to me like you have a maturing male. I'm all for going back and doing more training! A solid recall is the best defense!

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.rigby View Post
Could the attack toward your Golden have been due to pain (on your shepherd's part? Since he does have a hurt foot?)

As far as the increased reaction to stray dogs on your property, sounds to me like you have a maturing male. I'm all for going back and doing more training! A solid recall is the best defense!
No, I don't think it isn't a pain issue. Due to a whelping mishap, he only has two toes on his back foot. We are thinking there might be tendon damage as well. He is fine as long as I watch his exercise. Too much running around makes him sore the next day.

I do think back to the trainer is his (our) best bet. Not only will it help re-fresh all we know already, it will provide an opportunity to work around other dogs.

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page