CGC book. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

CGC book.

Has anyone here read The Canine Good Citizen: Every Dog Can Be One? I picked it up for my kindle the other day and started reading it. I have owned dogs before but never did a good job of training them. When I get this GSD pup I want to make sure I do it right.
Has anyone that read this used these methods? Anyone read them and disagree? Can you transition from doing stuff like t.his into shutzhund and other sports for the dog. Just wanted some input from some more experience members.
So far I like the book. The concepts make sense and I can identify problems that my Yellow Lab had and where I went wrong when he was a pup that caused his behavior. Anyway, any input here is appreciated.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

I have it but it has been a LONG time since I looked at it. Have you joined a training class? There are things that it is best to have some practice around other dogs and people, and a good training class will be most helpful.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Elite Member

Havent read the book, but the CGC test is so EASY! It is just very basic obedience training. Get with a good trainer. Maybe one that trains for competition obedience and is familiar with GSD's. And I dont mean to imply that you do competitions with your dog, they just tend to make better trainers, especially if they have trained multiple dogs to titles.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I haven't put a deposit down on a pup yet so I haven't joined a class. I've narrowed it down to two breeders and my wife and I should be deciding this week. I'm sure we will be getting him in the next 6 months but until then we just want to prepare ourselves.

Owned by

Mia (Cockapoo), Born 1/20/2008

Maverick (Yellow Lab), Born 4/4/04 - Lost 7/15/11
I miss you every day Mav.

Brock (GSD), Adopted 1/8/12
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Havent read the book, but the CGC test is so EASY! It is just very basic obedience training. Get with a good trainer. Maybe one that trains for competition obedience and is familiar with GSD's. And I dont mean to imply that you do competitions with your dog, they just tend to make better trainers, especially if they have trained multiple dogs to titles.
I would love to do competitions I just wouldn't know where to start. How expensive are trainers in the midwest?

Owned by

Mia (Cockapoo), Born 1/20/2008

Maverick (Yellow Lab), Born 4/4/04 - Lost 7/15/11
I miss you every day Mav.

Brock (GSD), Adopted 1/8/12
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

I do not know about Missouri, but in Ohio, you can get six weekly classes for $75 - $90.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

I have the book but haven't read it in a long time. I do remember that I didn't really care for the way they said to teach things so I didn't use their methods.
I would suggest searching for trainers in your area and get in touch, see if you can watch a class so you can really see how they train and interact with the people and dogs. Also think about what training methods you want to use so you can find a trainer who uses similar methods. Now is a good time to look and see what trainers you may want to go to when your puppy arrives.
If you're getting a puppy the first thing to do would be to take a puppy kindergarten course. These are for young puppies, depending on the class it may start when the puppies are between 8-12 weeks (different trainers have different age limits) so so when you know when your puppy is arriving you may want to reserve a spot in a class that starts when your pup is the right age.
If you are interested in the CGC, you could also take a S.T.A.R. Puppy class. S.T.A.R. is the puppy version of the CGC.

If you want to do Schutzhund now is a good time to look for and get in touch with clubs in your area. You should also be able to go to watch their training. They can tell you what training they offer and should be able to help you figure out what you should be doing with your puppy before he starts the Schutzhund training, and may be able to tell you where you can go for puppy training that is in line with their methods.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

You should google 'obedience training club' in the area you're in- they usually are low cost, AKC affiliated, teach a wide variety of things like agility, rally, tracking besides obedience. It's a good place to start, especially for puppy and basic obedience classes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

where in MO are you? I'm in AR, about 2 hours south of Springfield MO. Our club's obedience/rally trial is going on right now, entries were $23/dog/day.

Our club offers classes and seminars at a reduced rate for members (membership is $10/year for an individual). We have had free weekly practice sessions for all interested members in the time leading up to the trial. The club also offers agility and conformation classes and trials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page