PLEASE help <3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy PLEASE help <3

my female GS is 2 years old... got her from a kennel {big mistake I know} in 2009... The problem started when we were at a birthday party @ my cousins {we use to bring her everywhere with us for about 2 months before she started this} & she started barking @ my lil 1 year old cousin. I got embarssed & didn't have any freaking clue what to do {I didn't do any research before I got her, 2nd big mistake} so we just left.. then she got worse & worse as time got on.. mostly because we had no idea how to handle it.. she's horrible on the leash when we go out walking in trails, if someone comes walking towards us she freaks out & wants to attack.. & constatly pulls me so bad that my arm feels like it's coming out of the socket {but she walks perfectly around our yard which is like 6 acres} I can't walk her on the street bcus she chases cars & wants to attack people that walk by us... SO we called a trainer, paid $750.. & I was the ONLY one out of all the 6 people in my house to actually comit to the training so I don't even try doing it anymore... my BIGGEST problem is my mother & fathers dog.. he is not trained, so when Im trying to do training with her in the house, he's freaking out trying to jump on her.. & it's really hard to get my girls attention back.. I don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone tell me a job I can give her & how to make her do it? or training tips on how to get her to walk normal on the street? anything... please... I'll try anything, don't wanna give up on my girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

& yes she is spayed {:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

& I know she acts like that because she is scared.. Ive seen it many times.. when we see people walking that have other dogs & want to talk to us & she realizes her barking isn't scaring them, they try & give her a treat she tries to run away or hides behind me or my fiance,, if that helps. she isn't a mean dog at all whatsoever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Crowned Member

This thread and the links in it should be helpful https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ng-really.html

I also would find a behaviorist or a reactive dog class and go so that you can learn how to manage her behavior.

Fearful dogs can turn into fear biters. You need to get a handle on this ASAP.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

i think alot of it is learned behavior, she freaks out and tries to scare the on coming people away, or the scarey cars, etc............i think you need to back up and do some counter-conditioning and teach her to focus on you and get busy on some good Obedience training..........everyone in the house should be part of it or its not going to work............its a big commitment but worth the effort so you have a well behaved and balance family pet..........

url
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 PM

your biggest obstacle is getting ALL the people in the house to get ON BOARD with training

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

i would also find a trainer/behaviorist and have private lessons, this helps you become a better handler so you can control the dog in situations.....you can't get the one on one attention in a class..........

url
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

Practice NILIF and see if everyone in the house can get on board with it.

I would also work on confidence building.

Tracking is just you and your dog, and the stress level isn't there as in just going for walks with strangers around every corner, maybe try to get her to track(is she food motivated?) for her meals.
I agree with classes for reactive dogs, if you can find one, it would be very helpful. The book Control Unleashed is good, has excellent exercises for teaching reactive dogs how to focus on you, I would get a copy and start on your own if you don't have the option of a class for this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page