Training for a 10 month old problem barker - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Training for a 10 month old problem barker

Hi all!

We have two pups, a 20 week long coated GSD and a new 10 month old sheltie we just rescued. While he's as stubborn as they come and hunger struck for 5 days with his new raw food, our biggest issue by far is his barking. He's our third sheltie so we're well aware that they're a barking breed but we've never had one protest this much to crate training. Our GSD Milou used to whine and bark when we were first crating her but he turns every crating attempt into a 30 minute long continuous, high pitched bark protest. He makes Milou look like a perfectly well behaved girl, and while she is becoming well trained, she's still a 20 week old puppy!

He's getting tons of exercise (the two of them playing can wear each other into exhaustion), his crate is in the bedroom, it's covered with a light cotton sheet, he has been given various toys that squeak or are stuffed with frozen peanut butter etc and he doesn't have to potty. I keep telling the family to stay strong and not respond to his barking but I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before the neighbors get fed up. Someone is almost always home during the day so he's not alone but the puppy trainer we used for Milou said they should be crated 18 hours a day in the beginning.

We're also restricting the amount of time the pups have together to two half hour periods since he has bad habits that he's teaching Milou (jumping on people, counter surfing etc) and they have a tendency to not listen when they're together.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to better control his barking?

Pippin, Shetland Sheepdog (1997 - 2011) - RIP sweet boy
Haji Baba, Tabby Cat (1996 - 2012) - RIP my heart
Button, Black Long Coat Cat (~June 5th, 2006)
Milou Van Der Maas, Long Coat GSD (March 23, 2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

May want to train that the crate is a fun place with games....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB0013GJJG6%2F%3Ftag%3Dgooghydr-20%26hvadid%3D12914344529%26ref%3Dpd_sl_4ilnlcz4r1_e&tag=5336432754-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325
Shelties can be hard... plus you are about 8 months behind in some of the training...

TRUTHFULLY, you may get way more specific information from a Sheltie forum.... http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=500 OR http://www.sheltieplanet.com/forum/topic362.html or both!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I joined and posted over there. Having worked so hard with my GSD girl I agree that they're VERY different breeds. Even at 20 weeks, Milou is intelligent and focused with a deep bond and strong drive to please. She still mouthes when she shouldn't and is fully in her butthead-i'm-a-teenager-so-I-dont-have-to-listen phase but she shapes up when she knows you mean business.

Tintin bounces all over the place like a Mexican jumping bean and hasn't securely bonded to his person yet. I'm hoping that once we've had the opportunity to train him that he will become as well adjusted and loving as our girl. Being completely untrained for almost a year and bounced around to multiple houses is enough to throw off even the best dog.

Pippin, Shetland Sheepdog (1997 - 2011) - RIP sweet boy
Haji Baba, Tabby Cat (1996 - 2012) - RIP my heart
Button, Black Long Coat Cat (~June 5th, 2006)
Milou Van Der Maas, Long Coat GSD (March 23, 2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page