putting his nose in his popo? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

putting his nose in his popo?

My parents and their parents tell me that after the dog goes #2 in the house you should put its nose in it. Now my parents and their parents are no dog newbies. Dozens of dogs have happily lived and live with my parents and grandparents. And they tell me that they trained all their dogs this way and only had a problems with ONE SINGLE DOG in over 50 years of owning dogs.

Now i will agree that this method of training is not at all sanitary but if it works, why change your ways?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

old school training...I remember when I was in a training group early 90's the handout they gave said to do the same thing with pee too.
I would rather show my pup where I want him/her to go instead of making more of a mess. That and their immune system isn't real strong when babies, you could make them sick when putting poop in their respiratory system.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Two

It is quite unfair to the dog/puppy because he doesn't know any better.

Don't Rub His Nose In It | PetLvr Community Blog And Forum for Pet Lovers

Plus that is quite gross...

In the process of becoming a GSD owner.

Goals: Agility training, possible Schutzhund, great friend / companion!

-Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

the nose-in-poo method is right up there
with alpha rolling. it's not necessary. do your
parents or grand parents have any trained dogs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick408 View Post
My parents and their parents tell me that after the dog goes #2 in the house you should put its nose in it. Now my parents and their parents are no dog newbies. Dozens of dogs have happily lived and live with my parents and grandparents. And they tell me that they trained all their dogs this way and only had a problems with ONE SINGLE DOG in over 50 years of owning dogs.

Now i will agree that this method of training is not at all sanitary but if it works, why change your ways?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Two

I mean, there are TONS of people out there who have lived with dogs their whole life and have obviously stuck with older training methods and thats fine. But I guess that most of the "professional" dog trainers have leaned away from this training method, along with the "alpha male" method.

In the process of becoming a GSD owner.

Goals: Agility training, possible Schutzhund, great friend / companion!

-Jimmy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
...It is important to remember that if a puppy has an accident in the house, it is not his fault. It is the owner’s fault. If the puppy is properly supervised, he shouldn’t have the opportunity to eliminate in the house...
Read the whole thing here ---> (Housebreaking Puppies, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Rubbing your own nose in it might teach you better than the puppy

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick408 View Post
My parents and their parents tell me that after the dog goes #2 in the house you should put its nose in it.
Do you think you would have been potty trained earlier if your parents stuck your nose in your poopy diaper?

Think about what that's teaching a puppy. Puppy poops, owner puts puppy's nose in the poop - do you seriously think the puppy will understand that they pooped in the wrong place? Or do you think it's possible that maybe the puppy learns that he should be VERY careful not to poop around the owner or where the owner might find discover his poop?

The fact that they've been doing this for 50 years does not speak to the success of the method. It speaks to their reluctance to learn newer, better ways to train a dog than blaming a puppy for doing something he hasn't yet been trained not to do.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Do you think you would have been potty trained earlier if your parents stuck your nose in your poopy diaper?

Think about what that's teaching a puppy. Puppy poops, owner puts puppy's nose in the poop - do you seriously think the puppy will understand that they pooped in the wrong place? Or do you think it's possible that maybe the puppy learns that he should be VERY careful not to poop around the owner or where the owner might find discover his poop?

The fact that they've been doing this for 50 years does not speak to the success of the method. It speaks to their reluctance to learn newer, better ways to train a dog than blaming a puppy for doing something he hasn't yet been trained not to do.
On my iPhone so I can't use the little smiley thumbs up. So.... *two thumbs up*.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Crowned Member

How can sticking a puppy's face in it's own poop possibly help train it? I'm at a complete loss here... that makes zero sense.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
How can sticking a puppy's face in it's own poop possibly help train it? I'm at a complete loss here... that makes zero sense.
It will help teach the puppy that their owner is bonkers.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page