question for e-collar people - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

question for e-collar people

Has anyone used the e-collar for avoidance of a movable object?

My reason would be to train the dogs that when, say a dedicated object like orange cone, was in an area that they should not go there.

But an area that is normally a common space.

To be used when little grandchildren are playing on the floor or when you have company that aren't 'dog' people over - put cone at entrance to the room only on these times and allow dogs there otherwise.

The cone becoming an object to avoid.

Think it would work?

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

It would probably work but seems like you'd have to use the "positive punishment" quadrant which means associating the cone with the shock. I'm not against punishment and corrections but in this case I might be more likely to get a certain mat/towel/rug for the dog and train the dog a "go to mat" command so they have to lie down and stay on the mat.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

I have the Invisible fence brand system and we also got the portable barrier system. I never use it, we bought it for our pond and it wasn't needed, but if the dog is trained on an e-fence, the barrier system works well. The beep will have them back off as they learned with the fence perimeters beep.
You could try to teach it without an e-collar using a key word, and telling them back if they get too close to the cone. Dogs are smart enough, I think they would learn it quickly without compulsion.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Why bother with all that?

I'd either just work on a 'go lay down' command to get your dog to stay in it's dog bed... or just crate the puppy.

Much easier and more chance to work well and NOT mess up your dog. Have to be careful with the e-collar and you don't need it for everything.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Yes it would work but at what cost? I agree with the "place" command over this, for the example and use you're looking for.

- Also not against punishment and one of my dogs is wearing an e-collar as I write this, so take the above for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page