can your dog be stolen? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

can your dog be stolen?

Hi all,
This is my first post. Not sure if this is the right place to ask or this question was asked by someone before (if not, please direct me to the correct place), but this is something I would like to know.
Do you think someone can steal your dog. Can someone, other then family member take your dog by the leash and walk away with it. Will your dog resist? Did it happen before to any of you? How do you teach your dog NOT to go away with a stranger?
I have 18mo GSD - Uma. She is really smart, but at the same time I am not so sure that she wouldn't walk away with someone. I guess I have to test it with someone whom she didn't see before. I know we're trying to socialize our dogs, but when is it too much?

Thanks,
Eugene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

I seriously doubt that Stosh would allow a stranger close enough to take him by the lead or collar. Our last gsd Omy never let anyone touch her other than family. My brother used to say that the safest place for an extra house key was on her collar. Your girl is still very young and I imagine with time she'll become more standoffish towards strangers
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Somone coming into Sage's yard or house and taking him without me there? No not going to happen easily. I would never leave him outside unsupervised.

A stranger taking him with my permission yes...Think Vet, trainer, groomer, etc..

If you ever want your dog to pass a CGC part of the test is leaving your dog with a friendly stranger.

I would not want a companion animal to be unapproachable.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sagelfn; 08-01-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM

While I would never leave my puppy unattended, I have no doubt that she would walk away with a stranger. She is a young puppy and is incredibly friendly to everyone. Personally, I am hoping that she will continue to remain this way.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Master Member

Maybe . . . If they had a blow dart full of tranquilizer! But, he would be ditched as soon as he woke up. I am pretty sure the thieves would realize what they had gotten themselves into as soon as he wakes up.

Sydney(rescue)-Pit cross
Birbo(rescue)-GSD

Until we meet again . . .
Bear(rescue)-GSD, my soul mate.
Kai-(rescue)GSD, my forever baby.
Kobie-Pomeranian, my tiniest dog with the biggest heart.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonrae View Post
Maybe . . . If they had a blow dart full of tranquilizer! But, he would be ditched as soon as he woke up. I am pretty sure the thieves would realize what they had gotten themselves into as soon as he wakes up.
LOL Ditto!!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Knighted Member

I can't imagine Brutus going ANYWHERE with a stranger. Not without a fight.

*US Army Mom*

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 AM

Mine is only a 13 week old pup, so I'm sure she would easily go with a stranger, particularly if they bribed her with food. It won't happen though because she's never left alone.

Luna: GSD puppy rescue
Niki: 12 yo Shih tzu/ lhasa apso mix
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Crowned Member

Be responsible. Don't put your dog in the position to be stolen. Don't let the dog just roam around the backyard for hours on end.

If the dog is constantly being supervised... you really don't have to worry about things like this happening.

And to answer your question... yes... dogs can easily be stolen. Especially cute puppies who aren't being watched by their owners. It's never happened to me, but I'm sure it's happened before.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 AM

My aussies, most likely, my shepherd, it would not be an easy task.

By "force" on a leash, out in public, she would not go willingly with a stranger and that stranger would most likely end up with some wounds. Off my property? well she's never outside unsupervised, if a stranger broke in and I wasn't around, don't know and hope i never do.

If I am home and strangers come the door, she is alert/quiet and watchful, will let anyone in the door/on the property. If I'm not home, again I couldn't say.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page