Cesar Millan is Yesterday's Dog Trainer (Part 1) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Cesar Millan is Yesterday's Dog Trainer (Part 1)

Comments? (keep it nice)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 PM

I'm not a huge Caesar Milan fan, but I thought instead of stressing dominance so much he stresses calm and assertive energy. I'm not sure haven't watched any of this guys videos on youtube either.

-Jordan-

SBD Posejpal's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Elite Member

I am not a Cesar training fan, but I admire his commercial success.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Totally agree. Dominance theories just don't ring as true to me.
If people can get much better results through positive methods, whats even the point of alpha rolling and forcing them to submit?
I think people that are just getting into dogs seriously are often quicker to believe the alpha/dominance theories than people that have some experience. I say this because you're told for example that you shouldn't let a puppy win at tug because you'll have dominance issues, but people let them win all the time and there's no problem. Another example is the couch/floor issue. My dogs are allowed on the couch and they haven't tried to "dominate" me.
I think confidence is often confused with being a dominant alpha. Obviously, it's easier to follow someone that is sure of what they are doing than someone that is second guessing themselves or fearful all the time.
While you do have to be the "head of your pack," it's not so much that you're the alpha as you're just someone your dogs behave a certain way around. You teach them how to behave with you and that creates a positive relationship; the dog knows whats expected and the human is happy he is not getting mauled.
Imo, dogs know we're not one of them and we just don't completely fit in to their pack structure. If there are multiple dogs in the house, then I can see how they would have the pack mentality between themselves, but I think we're still different in their eyes.
Ceaser's method is just too gung ho. There is no positive reinforcement, only corrections.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.

Last edited by Tbarrios333; 07-20-2011 at 05:27 PM.
post #5 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

My thoughts: Who is that guy?

[EDIT]- I don't have cable TV. Here's his bio: http://www.zakgeorge.net/Biography.html

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 07-20-2011 at 05:25 PM.
post #6 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with him. If you are bullying your dog you are wrong.

He gives me the impression that he naturally carries himself with confidence when he works with his dogs and his body language and lack of fear around them helps him to naturally fall into a leadership position with his dogs. Leaders are not all bullies, they train, they work with, they have expectations, they reward desirable behavior.

I am not a Ceasar fan, though I have read his book. I think there is more to him than alpha rolls and bullying, dominance, and calm assertive leader/calm submissive dog, both positive and negative that we never see. Perhaps we just work with very different dogs.

But then the only things two trainers ever agree on, is what the third is doing wrong.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like this guy is a dog trainer. Cesar is a red zone dog behaviorist. Huge difference. Does this guy train the same kind of dogs that Cesar works with? I don't know cause I've never heard of him. What I gather from his bio is that he is just a trainer.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #8 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Try to watch the video and THEN comment. Don't just say what you know about Cesar...

Here's part 2

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

MRL, I don't know what type of responses you are looking for I did watch the videos. I agree with Willy, Cesar is NOT a trainer. Cesar himself says that he "rehabilitates dogs". I don't know anything at all about this "new" guy, but it appears he is a trainer, so to compare him and Cesar is like apples and oranges.
post #10 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, I watched the whole second video. I think this guy has a lot of good points, no question, but I still feel it's an apples/oranges comparison. CM, is not a dog trainer. This guy is. In fact, he states in the second video:

"I'm here to offer an alternative to the rest of the world who 1) doesn't have an aggressive dog, as this isn't very common anyway..."

That's all well and good, but Cesar is working with the dogs that are aggressive. I just don't see the similarities.

Willy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page