Having a hard time with "leave it" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Having a hard time with "leave it"

Molly is now 20mths old she is very obedient listens to all command accurately. The one and only issue I have is get her to "leave it" when she clamps on to the stuffed toy on her flirt pole. The flirt pole is by far her favorite toy she will drop any other toy on command just not this one? We have tried everything with no success. anyone have any suggestions on getting her to release this toy. When she clamps down I can't even pry her mouth open.

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Elite Member

Put your hand under her chin along the lower jaw and wait. She'll release it. It make take some time after all the prying since she's determined to fight for her toy now .

Oh, and maybe attach a different command to it since 'leave it' obviously doens't work. I use leave it for 'don't even look at it', and 'drop it' for something in the mouth to be dropped on the ground immediately, and 'give it' for releasing a tug or a toy into my hands.

Last edited by GSD07; 07-17-2011 at 10:22 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

What have you tried?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD07 View Post
Put your hand under her chin along the lower jaw and wait. She'll release it. It make take some time after all the prying since she's determined to fight for her toy now .
Thank you I will certainly try this

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

Wolfie does this with his frisbee. I don't know if it is advisable, but I just stick my finger in his mouth on the side, and say "let go" He won't clamp down on my finger and if he feels it there, he immediately releases, so he doesn't bite me.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
What have you tried?
treats, trading for other toys, stopping the game ...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Elite Member

I would switch to an "out" command for spitting things out of her mouth, and save "leave it" for telling her not to bother/eat/sniff/look at something she does not already possess.

Sometimes they get a toy from the flirt pole when they are in drive and have a hard time outing it. Try teaching out when the dog is not already in drive (no flirt pole or excited tug games right before). Use other toys that are not as interesting and use a clicker and/or trading for treats to teach a reliable "out" 100% of the time with other things. Once you have a good out, you can work up to an out in drive. Start with a different toy on the pole, then maybe that particular toy but not on the flirt pole.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

Im not sure how this works with Nero but I put my hand over the bridge of his nose and he lets go or drops his toy. My boy is such a teaser when it comes to playing fetch or something. He will drop his toy and then quickly grab it again before you get chance to grab it.

Nero looks at me with eyes of love, he thinks Im far to wonderful to criticise or judge

Lisa-marie

tally-breeze,Sable Gsd, (Nero) D.o.b 13/06/03
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassadee7 View Post
I would switch to an "out" command for spitting things out of her mouth, and save "leave it" for telling her not to bother/eat/sniff/look at something she does not already possess.

Sometimes they get a toy from the flirt pole when they are in drive and have a hard time outing it. Try teaching out when the dog is not already in drive (no flirt pole or excited tug games right before). Use other toys that are not as interesting and use a clicker and/or trading for treats to teach a reliable "out" 100% of the time with other things. Once you have a good out, you can work up to an out in drive. Start with a different toy on the pole, then maybe that particular toy but not on the flirt pole.

Good point!! thank you I do use "leave it" for many different scenarios I will start working on the "out" command for dropping a toy

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARKE-DUNCAN View Post
Im not sure how this works with Nero but I put my hand over the bridge of his nose and he lets go or drops his toy. My boy is such a teaser when it comes to playing fetch or something. He will drop his toy and then quickly grab it again before you get chance to grab it.

lol Molly will do this with my socks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page