Raw Food with Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Raw Food with Training

Afternoon all,

My GSD is on an all raw diet, and we are running into issues with finding an high value treat rewards for her. Right now I have been using "Texas Hold Em's" (Lamb filets) and they were working great until recently, she began to loose intrest in working for them.

Right now we decided that we are going to try having her work for her food and doing obeidence during feeding times, which is working beautifully so far.

The only problem is the raw food portion, which is all ground up meats / fish, and they are extremly difficult to mold into training bits. I tried molding them into small balls and then put em in the freezer for about 20 minutes to harden them up some, but with the heat they quickly go back to thier original state.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or expierences with working with raw food as training rewards and are there any recipes that I could use to make them firm enough to put in a treat bag to free up both hands, she is also allergic to alot of treats / foods on the market so that is why she is on an all raw diet w/ semeal supplements.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

Off the top of my head, I'd say dried liver. I've seen it in stores, listed/packaged as freeze dried liver, but I've never looked into it.
I can't imagine that it would be that hard to make youself.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, I will definitly have to look into that. I have been researching the internet looking up recipes, but always get an uneasy feeling of taking advice from random sites and figured before I do anything check in here first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

you can dehydrate the food, or cook it to make it easier to handle and more stable(without growing bacteria)
I use cooked chicken(garlic enhanced) for tracking/ and training rewards, I don't feed before tracking or training and deduct what I feed during those times from the meal portion.
The only time I fed raw or frozen was as the jackpot on the end of the track, but don't want to handle it for training.
Is string cheese or chunk cheese is an option at all? That was pretty high value for my dog.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Master Member

You can use basically anything fresh. Fresh meats or fruits are always good. I cut up fruits or cooked chicken for training on the trails. You can also buy a dehydrator and make your on treats from fresh meats, poultry and fruits too. Also try liverworst you can prob make little balls out of it but it migt get your hands sticky.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies, I have used cheese in the past and worked well, but she got bored with it, but I might be able to get a few foods in the line up and switch them out. I think my main problem is, I used to work her with one kind of treat and then once she got bored I tried to switch to something else. So switching them up during each training session might keep her interested and excited for what the reward could be.

I have never tried a dehydrator, but that sounds like a really good option as well. I never tried liverworst, I am going to the store tomorrow and pick some up see how she likes it. As far as the sticky and mess, I dont mind at all, my only concern is I dont like to manipulate her leash with my contaminated hand.

But one option that I was considering like Onyx mentioned maybe I could get half her food in treats and have her do obedience on a trail to her end reward the remainder of her food. It is a work in progress, but I will definitly try those suggestions out. Thank you for the advice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 PM

I usually train before meals by using ground or cut up muscle meat then give the RMB in her bowl at the end for a jackpot. This is really fine tuning stuff like fuss work, backing up, long downs etc. In the house or back yard before and after work.

Then for full fledged training I use cooked chicken, beef, partially cooked hamburger, pieces of fruit etc. (she LOVES apple, blueberries etc). I have found if I mix it up it keeps her interest more. And the cooked meat has more of a smell than raw so it gets her interest.

Like Onyx I don't feed before training and I deduct it from daily totals.

I also made dried liver by boiling for a short time, then rinsing it so it's not slimy. Then put it in a frost free feezer until dried out.... A month or two. She loves it and it costs a fraction of what the store charges. I don't give too much because it is pretty rich and I decrease the liver total for the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page