Ideas on this barking behavior? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Ideas on this barking behavior?

Buzzbuzz really enjoys training. I'm trying my best to keep it fun for both of us while we're working on engagement. She gets really into it and will willingly pay attention to me while there are even big dogs around
We have one little issue? curiosity? I don't know if it's really a problem or how to handle it.

While we're training, she starts barking at me. It's almost like she's saying hurry up with those treats.

Can anyone provide some insight on what this may mean as far as drives go? Is she in too much of a crazy drive for OB training? I'm still learning about the different drives and how this plays into training so feel free to school me on it.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

She is loading up and barking to release her drive. What are you doing to cap it or release? Food may not be enough. Tug with her may help. Crazy drive for ob is a good thing! You just need to know how to control it.
Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis on Capping a Dog's Drive you may find this on a free clip....I didn't look that deep.

looked deeper>
http://leerburg.com/flix/player.php?id=260

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-27-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added link
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
She is loading up and barking to release her drive. What are you doing to cap it or release? Food may not be enough. Tug with her may help. Crazy drive for ob is a good thing! You just need to know how to control it.
Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis on Capping a Dog's Drive you may find this on a free clip....I didn't look that deep.
That guy is a genius. He seems to have an answer for everything. Thanks for looking it up!

He is so right about puppies. Once I bring out the food it is darn near impossible to get her to play; she just wants the FOODZZ! I don't know if the tug will work as a reward yet.

As of now, I've just been working strictly on positions and engagement, but she doesn't really know to do anything on a verbal queue yet except for the perch. She will perch like nobody's business.
Don't really know what i'm waiting for! I guess I just want to keep it fun (it must be working).

She's only 15 weeks so I haven't really been working on playing tug much yet. I have her chase a little rubber ducky tied to a really long string and she likes that.
I'm also not entirely sure how to teach the tug game. I've only gotten as far as The Power of Training Your Dog with Food, not playing tug. I'm thinking I might just bite the proverbial bullet and buy the set soon.

I'm still trying to figure out the right way to teach the out and how to teach her to enthusiastically bring the toys back for more play (I'm guessing that comes much later?). Right now, if she gets a toy she wants to keep it.

I was curious about the drives because I've been reading snippets on the forum about dogs being in different drive states and how that affects training.
So much to learn, so little time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

There are tons of free clips from M.E....there is one on tug, too If the toy goes dead when she has control of it, she'll bring it back to you to make it 'alive' again.
Flirtpoles help with this, because the dog can't carry off the reward. You can let them prance it around after winning, but secretly you are in control of it!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
She is loading up and barking to release her drive.
What does this mean exactly btw? Is this frustration?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page