Cats and Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Cats and Dogs

I recently adopted a German Shepherd puppy (Marci) she is 7 weeks old. My cat (Nestle`) is over a year old and has been hissing/batting causing the puppy to pee every time they are around each other. Although today they made progress for about 5 seconds of butt sniffing, Nestle` began to hiss and bat, Marci, causing her to pee again.

I've tried separating them which doesn't seem to help and I've tried keeping them in the same room (supervised).

This is the first time I've ever introduced two pets together and I could really use some pointers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

Article from leerburg.com that might offer a few pointers.

http://leerburg.com/pdf/introducingdogs-cats.pdf

From personal experience I have to keep mine seperated.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Carlotta O'Neill
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Knighted Member

We've had this kind of topic on here before, give your cat and dog time, your cat is young enough to accept a new member in the family without holding a grudge for life. Your puppy will get adjusted in no time! Just make sure you keep your cats claws trimmed! So there is no accidents!! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

thank you
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantsWifey View Post
We've had this kind of topic on here before, give your cat and dog time, your cat is young enough to accept a new member in the family without holding a grudge for life. Your puppy will get adjusted in no time! Just make sure you keep your cats claws trimmed! So there is no accidents!! ;-)
Yep. Make sure kitty has higher ground she can get to so she feels safe. The puppy will learn that cats are to be respected. Keep the kitty's claws trimmed so that pup doesn't get injured, and they'll work it out, just give them time.

That's funny that the cat makes the puppy pee--the first time my puppy got batted, she thought "Oh, so we're playing patty-cake! I know that game!"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM

My dog always gets her feelings hurt by cats (and sometimes her nose). She just doesn't understand why they don't want to be friends when she runs up to them as fast as she can with her tail wagging and then (if they hold their ground) will stand as tall as possible looking down on them. Who on earth wouldn't want to be friends with that? The funniest part is that we met a kitten several years ago that did hold his ground and proceeded to rub on Bru which meant that Bru and that kitten became instant friends.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I have one cat that always holds her ground and lets the puppy chew on her. Why she allows this, I can't imagine, but she must be enjoying it at some level.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Great shot!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Great shot!
Thanks, I've got a bunch of these...

Kitteh strikes back!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Master Member

when I first got Dooney- she got batted quite a few times especially by our large 20 pound male cat. Keep treats on you at all times, when the puppy goes after the cat tell her to leave it until she comes back to you and then give her a treat. Now when i first started doing this, Dooney would run after the cat, automatically stop and come back to me waiting for a treat, so i started randomly treating her.

She likes to play "grab Jake's tail" when she comes in from outside and he waits by the door, when she is outside-its almost as if he likes it. Today Jake rubbed up against her, it has been 3 months. Just be consistent with what you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page