HOT dog- what's this mean? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

HOT dog- what's this mean?

I know that it stands for Handler Owner Trained, but what does that actually mean? If the owner paid for training classes, I assume the dog is no longer hot trained. But what if the owner takes training advice from a trusted friend or something?

I am just curious on what the "rules" are (if such exist) for what constitutes HOT dogs. I think it must be a really rewarding thing to say your dog is handler/owner trained!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

I think it means that you didn't buy a dog already trained or send it away to "boot camp" training. It does mean that you can't hire a professional to show/handle your dog for the event or show.

You can take classes where they show YOU how to train your dog. After all, you've done all the work.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

It means you own the dog, you trained the dog yourself and you trialed the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
you trained the dog yourself
This is the part I am confused about. See even in this response, it differs from what I would personally consider me training the dog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
You can take classes where they show YOU how to train your dog. After all, you've done all the work.
True, you typically do all the work when going to training classes. But I guess I was always under the impression that people who HOT train their dogs didn't even need to go to classes- they kinda just knew how to do it all themselves. They don't need the guidance of a pro trainer.

I am sure it is just a judgement call on how far you want to take the "HOT" label, I just wondered specifically on going to training classes/seminars/etc.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think this is mostly used in Schutzhund - You can buy a dog that is already trained and titled, and take your trained dog and enter high-level competitions with him/her. Or you can research bloodlines, buy a puppy (or keep one back from your own breeding), raise him/her, train and title him yourself. Much greater accomplishment to do this with a pup that you have trained yourself than with a dog that you bought already trained, or as mentioned, sent away for training.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ah! Now that would be a great explanation! I was thinking- how can you possibly train the dog entirely by yourself. In other words- you could never go to a club and have a helper. You could never go to any classes for socialization. There are so many situations that I, personally, feel would break the title since you are getting help from an outside influence.

...But if it simply means you didn't buy the dog pre-trained- well then, that changes everything.

Dianerra- I know you said the same thing. I guess it didn't "click" for me when I read your response. Kudos on saying it first though.

Willy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
But I guess I was always under the impression that people who HOT train their dogs didn't even need to go to classes- they kinda just knew how to do it all themselves. They don't need the guidance of a pro trainer.
Remember, going to training classes is not JUST about learning how to train your dog.

Even now, after having owned and trained over 15 dogs (covering over half a dozen different breeds) I still take a dog to classes.

It helps me work the dog around distractions. It helps me bond with the dog.

And I can honestly say that I have learned something new from every class I've been through with my dogs. I've learned what TO do and what NOT to do.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

Ditto that on classes....I find them to be a very social doggie outlet and enjoy them tremendously. It's a great way to proof your dog and great way to learn various techniques and methods.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well in that case- I am proud to say Pimg is HOT trained! haha- admittedly, it means so much less than what I thought though. I suspect the majority of dogs are HOT trained.

Willy
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

If you start with a pup or green dog that has no real training, train it and title it, it is HOT.

If you buy a green dog already with training, or a fully trained but not yet titled dog, it is not HOT.

If you send the dog away for professional training, it is not HOT. This goes for trainers who train the dog from start to finish, but also if one were to send the dog away to "tracking camp" or "forced retrieve" camp for a few days or weeks or months to have someone else work on a particular area.

If you work with a club, training facility, coach, and they help YOU train YOUR dog, it is still HOT. You can't train a dog without those things. Not to the title level anyway. I mean good grief, how would one be both handler and helper for their dog in protection so as to never get help if that's what HOT required? That's not what the title is about. It is there to give credit to the folks who go the extra mile to do it themselves.

Of course, most of the time this goes by honor system. There indeed are people who have purchased dogs with training, maybe even to the point of being ready to title, and sent dogs off for training elsewhere, and still claim HOT. The only proof that the organizations like USCA look for to verify if a dog is HOT is if the owner/handler trialed for all of the titles. There is no way for them to prove one way or the other if the person truly did all the training, they just trust people to be honest. Which most are, but not all of course. Same with anything else in life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page