Choosing a Training "Template" **CONFUSING** - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Choosing a Training "Template" **CONFUSING**

We recently took in a 1-year-old GSD that we renamed Simba. We have had him fixed and he is now 18 mos. He is a good dog. We have three kids in the home (ages 6, 4 & 2) and they are homeschooled so he is around them all the time. He is really great with them and even lets them play with his ears, etc.

As is to be expected, we have a few unwanted behaviors with Simba. We have tried to leave him out in the house for longer periods of time, for example, and he has gotten into the trash. However, the fact that he was home hungry and did not get fed "on time" is probably a large contributing factor in that. We have also had problems with him ignoring our words to him at times (for example, will not come when called, will not stay, etc.) but generally a blast from the Pet Corrector bottle will do the trick.

Anyway, I am a philosophy/theology reader and I realize that there are usually systems or templates that govern all these little choices. The problem is as a friend told me, "the only thing two dog trainers can agree on is that the third trainer is wrong."

So I have a couple of sources we go to now. We have one friend who is a professional dog trainer, we watch Dog Whisperer, we watch other dog training shows, etc. But I wish I had a kind of "do-it-all" book or resource that, if practiced, would answer nearly any problem you might have and teach you how, if you are willing to work hard at it, to teach this smart GSD how to do it.

Our training goals are simple: we want a responsible, well-trained, obedient dog that we can comfortably allow off-leash. We want him to be totally calm around children and other dogs (this is the case most of the time now).

He is 100% GSD (at least that's what the DR papers say).

What resource would you guys suggest for that? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

i think you should find a trainer. put the trash
can somewhere where the dog can't get to it,
close the bathroom door so he doesn't drink
out of the toilet or get the toilet tissue, put the
shoes away so he can't get them, crate the dog when you're not home,
think ahead to stay ahead.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I really struggled with the crate thing.... I felt like if he was in a crate when we were gone, it was because we were lazy about training him not to be in one.... I think I was wrong about that idea, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I agree with doggiedad on this one!

It's amazing how when we 'smart' humans put our minds to it and can MANAGE our dogs life and environment, most of the unwanted behaviors just disappear!

Dog training and classes would be great fun and a huge help too.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Sure, I agree that dog training and classes are a good idea but which one? Plus, I am a low-income grad student and have more time than cash. So a book or DVD set would be preferred. Thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM

I think you can alot more out of training via a class/instructor than from books/dvds.

It's a good way to see what WE as humans are doing wrong and how to correct. It's an objective view that most of us need in order to correct problems.

It's also a great way to socialize the dog to distractions and common 'life' experiences.

Do a google search for training places in your area, and then go check them out yourself..Watch a class (preferably a beginners because the dogs usually go in green and you can see what the trainers approach is to untrained dogs)..if you like what your seeing, sign up.

The payment is worth the results when you find a good class.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 AM

You can look for class through your township or local SPCA which may be cheaper than a training school. My local township offers a 10 wk class for $50 twice a year through the Adult Evening Education program.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Master Member

For a book, I like this one for actual hands on training advice:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Owners-Great-Brian-Kilcommons/dp/0446675385
One thing I like about it is that it addresses the human experience of dog training. The one that comes to mind for me is that when training in public, do not be afraid to give a correction for concern over what other people are thinking. That said, it's not an all-positive method, but neither is it what I would call "correction based". To me it's very balanced.

There is a section on "doggie boot camp", basically a nice NILIF program.

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page