Petsmart "Trainer" gives me advice..vent - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Petsmart "Trainer" gives me advice..vent

So, I took Tim for our weekly shopping at Petsmart and he was being his usual perfect self. No pulling, minding his own, being sweet.

The PetsMart trainer happens to be between classess..and I have watched a few! He just yells at the dogs...its pure chaos! Nice gentleman, but totally clueless!

Anyway, he stops to say "hi" and notes that Tim has on a prong. Well, He says no way should this dog be on a prong. He is too well behaved. I mean, he didnt even bat an eye when the other dogs were lunging at him. He says he should be only on a nylon flat collar.

I thanked him for his compliment and told him the reason he is so well-behaved is that I have worked with him and the prong keeps him safe from the crazy dogs that frequent Pets Mart. He , of course, insisted I should never use a prong and that it is a bad way to train.

I had to excuse myself and keep shopping! Whatever!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM

I would have put him on the spot and asked him why it was a bad way to train. I find that the majority of people that are against prongs and similar training devices actually don't have a clue how or why they work. Good for you for being able to walk away.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Ditto! - ask him why they are not a good option. (and also if he has ever used one)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

Too funny....always blows my mind that people think calm dogs should be on flat collar only. It apparently doesn't occur to them that the reason they are so well behaved and trained is BECAUSE they are on the prong collar....
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

PetSmart doesn't let you use a prong when training do they? Or is this Petco that I'm thinking of.
I remember one of those chains not selling them and against them as a training collar.
I would also have asked him his reason for his opinion.
But then again, I probably would not want to waste my time, and just walk away from it too.
I have the same opinion as him concerning a choke chain slip collar, it is a collar I don't think should be sold and has no use in training "no dog should be on a choke chain"

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Knighted Member

If the dog is well behaved, what's the problem with the prong?
If anything, it just sits there more comfortably, does less damage to their fur (at least in my opinion) and allows air flow that a flat nylon wouldn't... Not that nylons are that awful, but if you're comparing the two...
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
PetSmart doesn't let you use a prong when training do they? Or is this Petco that I'm thinking of.
I remember one of those chains not selling them and against them as a training collar.
I would also have asked him his reason for his opinion.
But then again, I probably would not want to waste my time, and just walk away from it too.
I have the same opinion as him concerning a choke chain slip collar, it is a collar I don't think should be sold and has no use in training "no dog should be on a choke chain"
Petsmart doesn't allow them, but both chains sell them.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Why are people shocked when a petsmart/co trainer approaches them? That's their job. And 99% of the time they same something that the person doesn't agree with. It is what it is...
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

I don't really shop at either of those stores...I don't like the food sales reps either.
I always cringe and bite my tongue when walking by and overhear their sales pitch. If they confront me I just say I feed raw and it stops them from saying more.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Why are people shocked when a petsmart/co trainer approaches them? That's their job. And 99% of the time they same something that the person doesn't agree with. It is what it is...
I can honestly say they've never approached me with anything other than compliments and petting of the dogs, asking their name...etc...

Curious which petsmart this was OP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page