markers/clickers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question markers/clickers

had my dog enrolled in ob classes while i thought the place in my city that was local was okay and is the best place in my city id say because of positive methods i was still not as satsified so i did a lot of research and started marker training for a a while on my own using leerburgs book and i am getting his dvd soon

i already notice a huge diff in my dog she will drop down fast she will offer me differant actions for the **** of it for fun like she will come to me and start heeling while i am in the yard cleaning or something or she will come and sit or down in front of me trying to convinnce me to train with her

also i notice that healing is just getting so much better she is constantly looking in my eyes and ignoring distractions while before while heeling she would never pull but still she would loook front or on the ground never at me

training is getting more and more easy

has anyone here ever had a bad experience with markers? it has been so simple and stress free easy to work through problems i still want the dvd though the one leerburg made i have a lot of his dvds

i never had such quick results with any other training method anyone else here try this on their own? clicker is using a clicker sound making thing marker is marking with a word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Master Member

Clicker/marker training has gained the popularity it has because people have discovered it works. Many people who compete in dogs sports are adopting the training style.

In the past, it has gotten a bad rap from purists who insist that marker training doesn't involving proofing commands or correcting for willful disobedience of a known command. That's patently false.

The only downside to marker training is that the dog learns to "offer" behaviors to elicit a reward. This is only a downside if you see it that way. Some people do, some don't.

I use a verbal marker in conjunction with other training techniques with my SchH dog, and she has done quite well, and loves to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: HCT, CGC
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I love and use clicker/marker training all the time. Think all the smarter trainers who know there is a better way to train many behaviors are adding it to their bag of tricks.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

does anyone mark with clicks and words? use clickers and markers ?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
I don't understand the question - can you explain what you mean?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Master Member

Does anyone use both, you mean?
Yes, I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: HCT, CGC
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I use both. Mainly the clicker with NEW behaviors. It's more precise and clear. Later I may use a verbal marker for a trained behavior cause I don't always have that clicker on my wrist!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Ever since I started learning about clickers/markers I've loved it way more than any other method.
It really works because the dog knows exactly what it is that it did to earn that reward, whereas before the dogs were probably unsure because maybe we praise too much/too little/using different tones etc.
Of course, there are some down sides. I try to say "Yes!" the same way every time, but it's really hard. Sometimes i'll miss a behavior, click too late and have to work to correct my error LOL. Still, it's fun.
My new puppy has been trained only with clicker/marker training and I do see a remarkable difference in learning speed/enthusiasm.
With my older girl, I use the praise method with no markers. She got bored easier and didn't really understand what I wanted sometimes. Now, it's hard to switch over to clicker because she's so used to being told what behavior to perform that she won't offer behaviors. We're working on it
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
I do...when initially working on a behavior, I use the clicker...then I transition over to verbal.

BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

when u guys messs up make an error like you say yes to quick or you say yes at the sametime you move ur arm to give the treat how do you work to fix it?

all i do is is just forget it happend and move on we always make mistakes both human and dog will never be perfect

Yeah cassidy i meant using both markers and clickers in training and not just one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page