can you have 2 go free commands? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question can you have 2 go free commands?

i marker train so i mark positive with a yes and follow with a treat right after

yes is also used as a go free command sometimes

is it okay to still use the okay go free command though while you are in a heel or something when you are not going to reward your dog? can you have 2 commands that mean the samething?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

I use yes as a marker with release and it's always followed by a reward of some sort. I use okay as an all purpose release. I would never want to confuse my dog by sometimes rewarding my marker word and sometimes not. At that point, it quits being a marker.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

It all depends on what you mean by "free". Are you asking if you can have two words that mean the same thing to a dog? If that is so then yes you can. My dogs know their behaviors in German, Englsh and in signals.

As far as what the free word means you can determine that. While I use yes to mark during training and it does mean the behavior has ended, it does not mean "free" in my training venacular. If we are still training, I still expect engagement after the marker. When all training is done, then one is free. It is not a happy word for my dogs who like training!

If a word is my marker, I use it for marking only and it is consistently followed with reward. If yes is a word that people use frequently in other ways in training, we encourage them to choose a more unique word as a marker.

Last edited by Samba; 06-05-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

yes eliane exactly that is why i wanted to keep okay go free for times when i free my dog from a heel or a stay when i am not going to reward her because always reward after a mark (yes)

free means she is allowed to go fre do as she pleases if she is free from a heel on a walk in a park she can go to the full length of the long line and walk in the water or bushes frolic in the flowers whatever she likes while we hiking

if she is free in a down stay she can do anything she wants
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

In herding we use "that'll do"- which means we're done. I've started using around the house and it's working really well. Even when we're playing and I say that command, it means we're done playing and go find something else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page