wont fetch - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

wont fetch

i have a 9 month old german shepherd. she picked up fetching about 3 months ago and here in the las couple of weeks she has completely lost intrest and absolutely will not play, and she has quit listening as well. ive never had a pup so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. if anyone has any idea what may cause this or has had this problem and knows how to fix it please let me know.

Last edited by dustinconard; 06-05-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 PM
KAE

Can't give you many pointers on either, but in my experiences teaching my dog fetch, he lost interest in the toy sometimes. I had to switch it up a few times until he got a bit older and he started to get that drive back.

As for the listening thing, how often do you train? At one point I got lazy training/reinforcing Rocky, so he was doing the same thing, not listening, so I started training fairly often again.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Could be just a puppy phase. Don't force anything and keep all activities as fun as possible, that includes training.

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

i was trying to train frequently but i kinda go out of the habbit of playing with her everyday. i will trying mixing up the toy too. thank you. i really appreciate it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

When you throw a toy and she picks up it, turn around and run- she should follow and might catch on to fetching. Have you tried frisbees?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

she won't even chase after it anymore. its frustrating because it went from where she would fetch all day then the next day she just looks at me like im an idiot. no i havn't tried a frisbee.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinconard View Post
she won't even chase after it anymore. its frustrating because it went from where she would fetch all day then the next day she just looks at me like im an idiot. no i havn't tried a frisbee.
For one thing your dog is young and going through an independent phase. So he may not listen to you as before. Be patient, that will come back in a few months. As for fetching, my dog will fetch like a maniac one day then be disinterested the next. Has a lot to do with energy level and distractions. If there are distractions, forget it. A lot of times she will fetch a few times then let me know she's had enough. I don't push it because it is her play time, I am not training her to be a competitive frisbee catcher. Some dogs have low fetch drive and you just have to accept it..... some are maniacs and will fetch until they drop. Mine is middle of the road, which is fine with me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

this may be a dumb question..but would the weather change make much difference? it started around the time that it really heated up. i don't know where you are from but we had a huge jump in temperature here the last few weeks. about 10 degrees or so hotter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinconard View Post
this may be a dumb question..but would the weather change make much difference? it started around the time that it really heated up. i don't know where you are from but we had a huge jump in temperature here the last few weeks. about 10 degrees or so hotter.
Yup. Remember GSDs are running around in a fur coat. When the temps get up real high they overheat very quickly. Play more indoors and keep outside sessions short.

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

ive seen a lot about the clickers...do they really work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page