DON SULLIVAN training dvd's??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

DON SULLIVAN training dvd's???

Has anyone ever used his dvds? I have a crazy work schedule and never know what the next week will be so I was going to try this instead of classes. I have heard some really positive things and a few negatives...but about shipping, and one about Don hitting a dog. Anyways..I would like to know what people think. I would like to have a very well trained dog. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

you can go on bowwowflix.com ~ there are several training dvds availiable, including Michael Ellis' collection.
Not a big fan of Don Sullivan...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I will try it out. I just want to know what would be the best to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Master Member

I've watched most of his DVD. It is strong on corrections.. you show the dog what it's supposed to do, once it knows the command, correction is issued for not following the command. The correction is increased if it's not followed, until the dog complies.

I have used that basic method (increasing strength of correction) in correcting for broken stays and not coming when called, and it works. It does not take much imagination or finesse, but it is quick and effective.

It can certainly result in a well behaved dog, just like the Koehler method could, or Dikeman after him who released a similar method on tape. Most people nowadays are not in favor of those methods. Perhaps they are concerned with harming the dog, and it might depend on the individual dog, but I think a calm owner issuing fair corrections is not going to harm the dog.

Proud papa of
and
. RIP Dana.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

What I want to control is his excessive barking at other dogs on walks and him pulling to get to them. I do have a colar that sort of helps with that though. I want to be able to take him more places but he acts like a brat and it is embarassing. His barking is loud and I can't hear over it. He knows basic commands from puppy classes but now needs obedience training. I can't go to a class bc of my schedule so I fugured get some dvds that will hopefully help. I am willing to put the effort it. I know he is still young but it gets frustrating. When we go to the pet store he goes crazy before we even get in the store. I see so many behaved dogs and just want him to do the same. He is 85lbs and can pull me pretty far if he sees another dog. Any advice would help too. Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

Tried them, but they didn't work. I found other ways.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares2010 View Post
What I want to control is his excessive barking at other dogs on walks and him pulling to get to them. I do have a colar that sort of helps with that though. I want to be able to take him more places but he acts like a brat and it is embarassing. His barking is loud and I can't hear over it. He knows basic commands from puppy classes but now needs obedience training. I can't go to a class bc of my schedule so I fugured get some dvds that will hopefully help. I am willing to put the effort it. I know he is still young but it gets frustrating. When we go to the pet store he goes crazy before we even get in the store. I see so many behaved dogs and just want him to do the same. He is 85lbs and can pull me pretty far if he sees another dog. Any advice would help too. Thanks
Well, for pulling itself (taking other dogs out of the equation for a moment), I do like Sullivan's simple technique. Using a prong type collar, hold the leash with both hands one on top of the other, when the dog pulls, strong pop correction and walk the other way. Eventually the dog learns to avoid the end of the leash, or at least putting any pressure on it. Sullivan uses a plastic version of a prong collar, but IMO a prong collar would be better since it's less likely to break, though a backup loop to the flat collar should be used in any case. I would avoid strong corrections with a flat collar since they do not distribute pressure the way a tightening prong collar does.

The fact that your dog is reactive changes things though, avoid over-correcting him when he is going nuts over another dog.. or even when there is another dog around. If you don't do it well enough (which could be a perfectly timed, very hard correction to immediately squelch his behavior), it will leave both of you stressed and will further degrade his association with other dogs. Bad territory, do not risk correcting him as a primary measure. I would search the forum here for reactive dog, pulling etc. and do some reading.

Also, from the sounds of it, your dog needs to calm down a bit. Taking him into an environment in a calm state might actually prevent the excited barking with other dogs, all by itself. If the dog is charged up when you put the leash on, and whining in the car, then is charged up when exiting the car, and pulls towards the pet store, that is a bad scene and barking at dogs would be the result. There are threads here on helping the dog relax too, read those... but to give you an idea, do not move forward in your journey (to the front door, out of the car, into the petstore) until the dog has relaxed some at each step. This requires lots of extra time at first, and patience.

Knowing more about your problems, I would not bother with the Sullivan DVDs. They are more for basic obedience than for your issues.

Proud papa of
and
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page