should i do protection training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

should i do protection training

My pup has been doing great with basic obedience so far. when she has all of her vaccinations she will be doing S.T.A.R. puppy and CGC. I have noticed with her though, the best tug drive i have ever had with any of my gsds in the past. (sheeba, longhair black and tan- german purebred, dad got her when i was a baby when he was assigned to germany)(champ, white gsd, pound rescue) (King,black and tan, byb, died young ) and now my dads newest dog (blitz, sable) All of them had ball drives, but my little girl dia could care less about that. we have a rope that she will play tug with me and i literally can pick her up off of the ground, thats how serious she gets with it. being as my bf/fiance is going active duty army as a 2nd lt, and i know he will be deployed, would it be best for me to train her in protection. It is something i have never done but i think she would absolutely love it
any opinions, and reasons i should not. please be honest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Best thing would to locate a club in your area and go along for a session to see if it's what you would like to continue with.

Fact is, you have to progress with ALL phases of the training so need to practice/learn tracking, obedience and the protection work. So having people in the club be able to help with all 3 different skills is key.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

i don't think there is a club here in hattiesburg devoted to the breed, there is one on the coast where my dad stays, Mississippi Coast German Shepherd Dog Club... i can look into it there.

, Mar 19, 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

im looking on the akc website, says this club is obedience, specialty and rally.. what is included in specialty?
also, all i see are actualy competitions, do these clubs just have meetings to where people get together and practice and such?

, Mar 19, 2011

Last edited by juliejujubean; 06-03-2011 at 02:08 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Elite Member

There's a GSD club in Jackson too. They might be able to help you.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Are you talking about doing SchH or personal protection training? You aren't going to find either one at a GSD club or on an AKC website. I would suggest you look for a SchH club near you and see if you like it.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM

SchH or true "Personal" protection.

Personally I think that if you need to train a dog as a tool for Personal Protection, that under this scenario you don't need to be asking forum members for their thoughts on what you need.

Also, I would question the need for it to anyone who asked me if they needed this. Your dog is not a dog anymore. It is a weapon and a liability.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltus View Post
SchH or true "Personal" protection.

Personally I think that if you need to train a dog as a tool for Personal Protection, that under this scenario you don't need to be asking forum members for their thoughts on what you need.

Also, I would question the need for it to anyone who asked me if they needed this. Your dog is not a dog anymore. It is a weapon and a liability.
Wrong. PP dogs are not a liability if trained correctly. Thanks for trying though!

OP: Get a gun and alarm system. As trained as a dog may be, it is always a chance that the 1% where you need him to act, he won't. I'd recommend going and watching sessions of pp work. It is not all fun and games.
However, schutzhund is a sport. You should check it out too. Very serious sport, mind you.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetal View Post
Wrong. PP dogs are not a liability if trained correctly. Thanks for trying though!
It is a liability for someone who has to ask a forum if they need to train their dog this way...

PP has it's place. Just like gun ownership. If you need it for defense, you don't need second opinions on it. It is not something you commit halfway to.

Now, having said that, there was an instance where a PP dog bit a teen in Dallas. The dog's owner made some comment like "I did not know my dog could/would do that.

To the OP, go see some PP dogs before making the decision. See what they can do and what is needed to handle them.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltus View Post
It is a liability for someone who has to ask a forum if they need to train their dog this way...

PP has it's place. Just like gun ownership. If you need it for defense, you don't need second opinions on it. It is not something you commit halfway to.

Now, having said that, there was an instance where a PP dog bit a teen in Dallas. The dog's owner made some comment like "I did not know my dog could/would do that.

To the OP, go see some PP dogs before making the decision. See what they can do and what is needed to handle them.

PP dogs come to schutzhund once in awhile. They seem exactly the same to me-though i wouldn't know anything deeper. i originally got my dog for companion/personal protection and i wanted to do agility as a hobby-my trainer suggested mondioring-so that's what we are doing now

Samson Vom Gieske GSD 12/2010
Snickers-GSD Mix Rescue 06/2004

::MILLIONS AGAINST MONSANTO::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page