(video) walking my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

(video) walking my dog?

okay, so im going to try to upload a video lol..

Now, dad was walking my dog the other day with the choke collar. because he pulls alot dad was basically making sure he didnt go infront of him and made sure he stayed right by his side (i know it sounds bad but basically choking him)
then maybe every 5 or so meters he would make him sit and pat him.

Is this a good way of teaching him to stay next to you and not to pull on the leash?
All comments are welcome and i really want to know what everyones thoughts are.

(hopefully this video turned out)

Thanking you all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM

I wish i could put a video on here lol... I tryed that method and the after a few times of of putting on the choke chain Gypsy wimperd and wined , she let me put the coller on but I dident have the heart to use it any more. I got a martingail to prevent Gypsy from pulling it off and a twenty five foot leash and a big pocket of treats she had a addiction for bacon at the time. Again i wish i knew how to put videos on here I'd love to show her progress.off leash now.

Last edited by gypsyrose; 05-30-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

off leash? woww thats great. yeah Mali is fine with putting the choke chain on, just not sure if this is the right way of teaching him not to pull lol.

gypsyrose, if you know how to upload a video on youtube.com? then from there its pretty straight forward to upload it onto the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

I don't like choke collars. I would not use one ever! A prong is much safer and more effective. I also wouldn't use my hand to sit him, pressure like that on a young dog can cause spine or hip issues. Neither methods are "teaching Mali" to heel. Have you looked at the Michael Ellis video clips on engagement, heeling, etc? They are full of good information you can order the full length ones at bowwowflix

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Is this a good way of teaching him to stay next to you and not to pull on the leash?
No - having a dog on a constantly tight collar and taut leash is not teaching him anything as he's being rewarded by continuing to walk forward while pulling.

Here are some ideas to teach loose leash walking:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post2150952

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
off leash? woww thats great. yeah Mali is fine with putting the choke chain on, just not sure if this is the right way of teaching him not to pull lol.

gypsyrose, if you know how to upload a video on youtube.com? then from there its pretty straight forward to upload it onto the site.
i'll try that. Thanks...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

The more you tighten the leash, the more the dog will pull. People just don't realize that they are the ones that taught their dogs to pull so hard.

There is nothing wrong with a choke chain so long as you use it as a training tool and not to just choke the snot out of your dog. They are designed to be used with a snap correction, just like a prong collar, but it gives a much less severe correction.

Dog school is in order to learn how to control your dog properly.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 PM

Smile

Quote:

Ok i've uploaded to youtube under gypsyrosek9. Gypsy is eighteen months and i have had the most success training after watching some michel elis videos and reading Positive dog training for dummies. Gypsy and i are a work in progress.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 AM

Cool link to gypsy and me playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrose View Post
I wish i could put a video on here lol... I tryed that method and the after a few times of of putting on the choke chain Gypsy wimperd and wined , she let me put the coller on but I dident have the heart to use it any more. I got a martingail to prevent Gypsy from pulling it off and a twenty five foot leash and a big pocket of treats she had a addiction for bacon at the time. Again i wish i knew how to put videos on here I'd love to show her progress.off leash now.
YouTube - ‪A little offleash heeling, set and stay.‬‏ this is a link to my youtube videos.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

gypsyrose, you have a great looking dog, and good work on the training

And, Cassidy's Mom, thanks for that link, really helped me out alot with the training process of walking him on lead, good information and excellent footage. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page