Open to suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Open to suggestions

When I got Ziva she was 11 wks old and my son will soon to be 4. Given that after my last GSD died my son became afraid of dogs I thought it was more important that they bond and see her as a friend. Ziva is 5 months now and has basic house training and a good relationship with my son. She's at the end of her teething stage so I want to begin to work on her obedience. I'm here because she is so drastically different in temperament to my last GSD. (Tessa was very laid back and had a much different drive then Ziva) Ziva is much more headstrong than an GSD we've had before. She's not dangerous but she is stubborn. I used treats and praise with Tessa but Ziva won't take treats. Ziva's parents were both police dogs so she has great tracking drive and has "tunnel vision" at times and the attention span of a nat other times. I'm wondering what you think might work best for her in terms of how to get and keep her attention and get her to understand when an action is unwanted (like air snapping and flea biting)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member

Is she toy or ball driven? If she is you can do short training sessions using a ball as her treat.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

She may need a whole lot of exercise. The age she is now is pretty challenging and not the way she'll be forever. I would suggest obedience class and maybe rally for the control and something like frisbee for that high activity level she has
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

she has a nyla bone chew (since she's teething) that she loves to tear up, a tennis ball she's not too fond of, a kong she doesn't really like and a rope she picks at. She recently found a 6 inch bouncy ball (my sons) that she became addicted to until she popped it. I haven't found anything that she likes well enough to do anything i ask her to do get it. She's a diva.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

What lines is she?

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Tonight she became addicted to my son's 6 inch bouncy ball..chasing it around the house and having me chase her to get it. She wore her self out to stumbling but still wanted to play! I had to throw it out since she popped it and at the moment she's tracking through the house to find it and whining. Thinking I should buy her one meant for her.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

I guess you could have expected more drive than your laid back Tessa since both parents were police dogs . Was your Ziva presented as a laid back pup in the litter?
I find it a bit unusual for a female to be a police dog and a dam , or at least if so, not in an exclusive in house breeding program where the pups are bred specifically for service.
Would you share the pedigrees please.

Are you saying that she bites at "invisible" flies and midges , or does she air snap as a sass you back when you are firm with her?
Does she have fleas or itches or is the "flea biting" a stress releaving displacement activity.
Maybe start with good strong exercise , crating , bringing her out for concentrated focused work, back to crate to think about it . This gives some framework for attention to you instead of her wandering around finding things to amuse herself with around the house. It's great that she has a strong tracking drive --
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

She's pure Kirschental
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe check out herding classes. I think that line is pretty well known for that. Not positive though.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM

What kind of treats are you using? I would try something super appealing like frozen hotdog bits and never try to train her on a full stomach either. Usually I will do a short training session and play session before breakfast so they are VERY hungry and then when you are done put her away in her crate/kennel or wherever her place is and wait 30 minutes then give her breakfast. Also try using a dish rag or hand towel and play tug with her as a reward she may just love it!

As far as stopping her from doing what you don't want her to do, you need to teach her the word NO and needs to understand no means no! You can accomplish this by leaving a small light line attached to her at all times when she's loose in the house so when she's not listening you can just simply grab the line and let her no that you meant no when you said it. The element of surprise is amazing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page