What type of guard dog training is this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What type of guard dog training is this?

A while back I went to visit a distant relative of my husband, and it was the first and last time that I did. She had a GSD and she had to lock him up in a room before we could enter her home. Once we were inside, she let him out and he more or less just watched us. Then when we were ready to leave, she had to lock her dog up again, she said that he would attack us if we were to attempt to leave while he was loose. She said that he was trained this way. I always wondered if this training was common in guard dogs. Then a few weeks ago an acquaintance of mine said that he was attacked by a GS while visiting a friend because his friend left the room and he stood up and walked across the room and the dog attacked him for not remaining seated, he said that the owner stated that his dog was trained like this. What the heck type of training is this?

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

The stupid kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM

^^^
Couldnt have said it better myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Never heard of such a thing. Keep in mind a lot of people (maybe this is the case and maybe not, I'm not judging anyone) think they have a PPD that will fight an attacker/intruder and what they have is a noisy pet. IMHO
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The kind where I would demand the dog was put up behind a locked door before I came to the friend's house!

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

An untrained, un solcialized GSD, no special training, they'll do that naturally if you let them

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

This is a GSD that is unpredictable with weak nerves. This type of behaviour should not be bragged about. Ugh....

Can't help but feel bad for the poor dog. He/she just needs strong leadership & training. Not to be locked in a room when someone visits to cause more of a panic & the need to be suspicious when it's unwarrented.
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

Dare I say, this is also a eauthanized dog.
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
Then a few weeks ago an acquaintance of mine said that he was attacked by a GS while visiting a friend because his friend left the room and he stood up and walked across the room and the dog attacked him for not remaining seated, he said that the owner stated that his dog was trained like this. What the heck type of training is this?
This is bad yes, but does it have anything to do with their herding characteristic?
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
An untrained, un solcialized GSD, no special training, they'll do that naturally if you let them
Er, speak for yourself/your dogs! Sounds like a dog with some major issues to me. Definitely not properly trained, but perhaps something no amount of socialization can "fix". Just not a stable dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page