If your dog goes after or attacks another dog during obedience class, - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

If your dog goes after or attacks another dog during obedience class,

PLEASE at least be polite enough to apologize for your inability to keep your dog under control!

A male GSD I haven't seen before came to our advanced OB club (it's every week, annual fee, not like the usual 8 week course). To join advanced you must have already completed novice under this instructor, so this dog is presumably not new to the atmosphere or training. Everyone was lining up on one side on a straightaway, and I crossed in front of this dog who lunged out and grabbed ahold of Dante's (my 9 month old malinois) face. It was a very aggressive lunge and the owner wasn't paying attention at ALL. To top it off, the instructor asked him if this is what he had been doing on walks. So the owner KNEW his dog had been displaying this behavior and no one warned anyone about it.

And as though that wasn't enough, the guy didn't even bother to issue a quick "sorry." He didn't say a word, so Dante and I went and sat next to some of the friendly regulars.

Do you feel an instructor/owner should warn people their dog is known to do this? Or do you take the chance of this kind of thing occuring when you're in a group class? 7 months of weekly classes (I actually have been going twice a week for the past two months, because Micah has been in novice) and this is only the second time this has happened (to my dog). Once it was a little terror (excuse me, terrier) that was supposed to be heeling, and we were the designated disance behind it, and the owner allowed the dog to lunge backwards to the end of the six foot lead and snip Dante's nose in a pretty nasty manner. I steered clear of that woman and dog, because the dog was fine with her husband but she had no control over it. It went after other dogs as well. This shepherd caught me really off guard, I feel someone should have said something about him given that they knew this might happen.

Last edited by Rerun; 05-04-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Knighted Member

I think warning should be given to other dog owners by the instructor that this particular dog has some behavior we are trying to correct and lets all work together to correct it. That way it's notifying other owners of the issue while phrasing it in a helping manner which hopefully won't ostrasize (sp?) the dog in question. I'd be very angry if that happened to my dog and would speak to the instructor/owner of the facility.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Knighted Member

It is absolutely the instructor's responsibility to advise everyone in class that a specific dog has known dog-dog aggression issues. After watching people with their dogs I would also leave unless said aggressive dog was muzzled.

And that owner is a donkey (not the word that's in my head) for not falling all over himself to kiss your donkey and apologize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Holy cow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 PM

I agree that the instructor should warn people. Willow was pretty good in class but the instructor was aware of her issues and she would warn people if Willow was having a bad day and she would even give me a heads up if there was a new dog coming that might be a little high strung or barky that would most likely cause Willow to react.
Of course, Willow would only bark. I have never seen her want to really attack another dog or grab it like what happened to you. That is scary.

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

So sorry that happened to Dante. Bet he was scared.

Its sounds great that the instructor announce any problem dogs that are attending, muzzling etc. But, really, if they are known to be that bad then they should not even be in that class. And , lots of dogs have bad nights. That is part of dog training. Unless you attend a class with just a few dogs, this sort of thing can happen.

Most logical solution is to really watch for your dogs best interest. Take a quick inventory of dogs attending and stay clear of those that look iffy. Be your dogs advocate. Stay next to the dogs you know. Tim and I are always a safe bet!
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Which one of your dogs is Tim? I don't know if I've seen you there yet! I have missed the last few weeks though due to drama with my living situation/landlord.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

Tim is the one on the right, with his head tilted. He is a colle/shepherd (?) mix from TriState collie rescue. He seriously would not hurt a flea and I have to really watch it that he is not put in a scary situation. That really is the main drawback to those big classes..it can build their confidence when all goes well, but when there is a blow-up..its bad. There were a couple times when I had to drag Tim thru the door. He is getting braver, but I watch the other dogs like a hawk. I am not embarrassed to move to nicer neighbors either.

We go to the 6 pm class as its not so packed..and that has helped.

And yes, the handler shouldve apologized, but they were probably too freaked out to say anything...but, they better learn how to do a really good correction!!
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Ah, Rerun and I usually go at 7. I think thats the best time for her with having someone to watch her son, and I prefer it over 6 so I don't have to drive from downtown to fishers during rush hour!

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

I think I'll stay out of this thread...

Well not totally, I guess. YES- it is absolutely the instructor's responsibility to make it aware that there is an aggressive dog in class. Especially in a class that size where there is no way the single instructor can be aware of all forty or so dogs. That's all I have to say about that. (But you knew it was coming, right?)

[EDIT]- BTW, Rerun- really sorry to hear it happened to you!! I hope this doesn't set Dante's training back too much- I know you've worked really hard!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page