Car issues... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Car issues...

I adopted a new boy about a half a year ago... My female loves a car ride, so when I trip a couple blocks to the convenient mart she will just lay in the back seat. I know I should be strapping her in (and I plan on getting a harness real soon)

I tried just sitting in the car with my boy Loki and he could not be still. He moves back a forth and tries to come up front. I have a Toyota Camry right now (can't afford a GSD freindly vehicle yet) so a crate will not work.

I know a harness will keep him still, but I'm wondering if this will make him even more anxious? Anyone have similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

Try using a target area in the back seat Loki is to stay on. Just as an example, say a cheap bathroom rug. Use it to train him in the house...have him sit on the rug and remain there till you release him. When he is really good at there, move the rug outside in the grass (or porch etc.) When he is confident at that move the rug into the back seat of your car. Go from you standing outside of the car, to going to the front seat - to driving down the drive way...etc. Take baby steps with him. Don't expect perfection. Make sure you reward with a big happy dance when ever he does it correctly, even if it's in the house. Every once in a while go back to the beginning (in the house) to keep his confidence up. Always reward!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
CPH

Lilie that is a great idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the idea, I will try doing that!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Try using a target area in the back seat Loki is to stay on. Just as an example, say a cheap bathroom rug. Use it to train him in the house...have him sit on the rug and remain there till you release him. When he is really good at there, move the rug outside in the grass (or porch etc.) When he is confident at that move the rug into the back seat of your car. Go from you standing outside of the car, to going to the front seat - to driving down the drive way...etc. Take baby steps with him. Don't expect perfection. Make sure you reward with a big happy dance when ever he does it correctly, even if it's in the house. Every once in a while go back to the beginning (in the house) to keep his confidence up. Always reward!
That is similar to what I was taught. The target area should always be a very happy place. Lots of treats, belly scratches, etc. The most important part is not how long they stay but the fact that they're happy and not stressed out while on the target. Also, the target doesn't stay out. It is specifically a happy place & comes out when you have time to love him up while he's there.

Then it gets moved slowly to the car. It can be a long process, so patience is key. If you see any anxiety, you need to back up immediately. You are developing new neuropathways (according to my doggie psychiatrist) and going slowly is key. It took me several months to just drive around the block.

I also bought the CD's "Through a Dog's Ear" - there is one specifically for car travel. I found the music to be depressing, but apparently dogs love it. It seemed to help for him.

Did I say anything about patience?

To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Last edited by dogmama; 05-14-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page