Barking Problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Question Barking Problem

Hey guys and gals,
So, this morning one of my neighborhoods come over and tell me that my 6-month old GSD is baking way to much and its keeping them up at night.
And, really hes has been barking a lot lately, ever since he hit 6-months old.
I was wondering if anyone had a good method or item that I can use to shut up his barking.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Knighted Member

It depends, is it just reactivity to outside stimulus?
Or, is he standing in front of you or to the side of you looking at you and barking?
Or, is it separation related? If you leave how long does it take for the barking to start and how long does it last?

The reactivity could be helped by more exposure to different things in a postive way.

The pushy "look at me barking" I've either just turned my back or put a book in front of my face. It's not instantaneous but eventually the dog gets it.
Any attention is still attention whether it's negative or postive. With Alice, even tilting your chin slightly in her direction she would continue to bark at me.
A less intelligent dog just turning your back works; with a GSD or other herding type dog...they just circle around so hence the book or magazine.

Separation issues are tougher, start with the time issues. When you leave, time how long the window of separation is before the barking starts. Work from there in small increments...
When arriving home or leaving don't make a big deal about it. I've found that ignoring her for a few minutes upon arriving and just leaving without a word has really helped.

And that's what worked for me with Alice.
Zoey, the weasel is old and barky reactive and I'm personally thinking of a remote control citronella collar. As she sets off the younger bigger dog.
It's really tough with her because she's elevenish and was given high value food rewards and attention for reactive and "dominance/demand" barking. *thanks mom*

Edited to add: Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! Mental and physical! A tired youngster doesn't "yell" about everything so much.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

Where is he at night? Where are you at night?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member

Do you hear him barking at night as well?

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

He sleeps inside his house in the backyard. its a 4' X 8' X 4' dog house, with windows and insulation. I sleep upstairs in my room.
From my room, I don't hear him barking, but I do know he barks a lot and its kinda annoying to the neighborhoods.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 PM

So has your puppy just started staying outside away from you? My puppy just turned 5 months and he's starting to discover his bark, but I keep him inside at all times other than when I let him out to do his business in our back yard or for him to run around the yard. He still doesn't like to be in rooms with doors closed by himself other than when he goes in his kennel in the morning before I head to the office, and son is in school. They do become very attached to us, so maybe it's anxiety, or if he is seeing cats, racoons, other animals might be causing him to bark...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Crowned Member

Keep your dog in the house when you aren't home and at night. As he's still young, keep him in a crate when you can't watch him. Nobody should have to listen to your dog bark at any time of the day or night.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

I have multiple dogs, and it is VERY important that my neighbors not be offended or disturbed by my dogs as much as possible.
Barking dogs are a nuisance (no matter what age they are)......keep your dog inside at night or when you are not home (if they are potential barkers).
JMO

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page