being dominating to other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

being dominating to other dogs

Sadie went on her first camping trip last week and she did what she always does when she sees other dogs.. and that's barking non-stop. A lady of two dogs who used to have a GSD told me that she is being dominating... because she's licking her chops.. so how do I make her stop doing this? I want it so that she will be fine when walking by any dog without a single bark. should I do the thing where when she sees another dog just give her treats continuously till that other dog passes/out of sight? it's the only issue I have with her and it's a pain.

Monica

Sadie GSD 10/26/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

is this new behaviour? what have you done bout
it?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
is this new behaviour? what have you done bout
it?
No she has always done this.. but as she's getting older it seems to be getting worse and a little more aggresive maybe. I have tried "leave it" but it hasn't been working. I've tried to turn around and walk the other way but that does absolutely nothing of course. and then I've tried to get her attention onto something else but still it isn't teaching her to not bark at these other dogs

Monica

Sadie GSD 10/26/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

She isn't dominating, but fearful and giving calming signals by licking her lips. I would get the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt and use the exercises to help you desensitise her. Ignoring and purposefully walking her past the things she reacts to may help. She is at that age where the reactivity seems to escalate, so managing it is really important. Keep on with the classes, too!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
She isn't dominating, but fearful and giving calming signals by licking her lips. I would get the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt and use the exercises to help you desensitise her. Ignoring and purposefully walking her past the things she reacts to may help. She is at that age where the reactivity seems to escalate, so managing it is really important. Keep on with the classes, too!
ok that makes more since. Im not doing the classes anymore, the trainer was no good. I will check that book out thanks

Monica

Sadie GSD 10/26/10
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Knighted Member

Yeah, wow...I had heard that lip licking is more submissive appeasing behavior not dominant.
I could be wrong but it sure seems like more fear based or lack of confidence.

A dominant dog will more likely show more canines to show dominance or have a higher set tail, and definitely keep its head above another dogs. Eye level is everything to a dog.

Good luck with the reactivity; keep on keeping on...

ETA:
Quote:
ok that makes more since. Im not doing the classes anymore, the trainer was no good. I will check that book out thanks
If the trainer was no good, possibly find a behaviorist/trainer.

Last edited by CarrieJ; 05-01-2011 at 12:29 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieJ View Post
Yeah, wow...I had heard that lip licking is more submissive appeasing behavior not dominant.
I could be wrong but it sure seems like more fear based or lack of confidence.

A dominant dog will more likely show more canines to show dominance or have a higher set tail, and definitely keep its head above another dogs. Eye level is everything to a dog.

Good luck with the reactivity; keep on keeping on...

ETA:

If the trainer was no good, possibly find a behaviorist/trainer.
thanks,
I'm not gunna take her to a trainer/behaviorist tho, I'm a single mother and don't really have the $ to just give away. which I feel like I pretty much did with the last trainer. I paid $125 and only went to three classes.. and didn't get my money back like I should have.

Monica

Sadie GSD 10/26/10
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Knighted Member

I enjoyed reading Patricia McConnell and Steve Dunno "Be the dog"
Try and look up books on basic body language as well. Dogs communicate something like 90% body language and about 10% vocal.
*grin* unless it's a GSD...my girl has a lot to say in many voices.

Just some interesting stories; but Dr. Nicolas Dodman The Dog Who Loved Too Much.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie GSD View Post
thanks,
I'm not gunna take her to a trainer/behaviorist tho, I'm a single mother and don't really have the $ to just give away. which I feel like I pretty much did with the last trainer. I paid $125 and only went to three classes.. and didn't get my money back like I should have.
I suggest you do some "watch me" drills with her. Treat her when she looks at you on command. This will help build focus on you when you need her to. Do this several times a day and soon enough when you say "watch me", she'll focus on you and it will assist in helping your dog when she encounters another dog. If she watches you, and your calm and relaxed, after a while she'll loosen up around other dogs.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Master Member

ROFL gotta love the self proclaimed professionals on the street.
Licking lips is definitely a calming behavior for the dog. Ever notice your dog laying down to sleep and licking and flicking tongue a few times before relaxing?
Yawning is also another one.

If your dog is being dominating you would have flagging tails, placing head over the other dogs back, growling, stiff posture, etc. Each dog is dominant for different reasons. Some do it out of insecurity and use it as a way to feel better by being in control. Some dogs don't have socialization so they try to be dominant no matter what. Others are born leaders and are the most calm and balanced dominant dogs. Very sure of themselves and almost don't look dominant because they just are and dont need to flaunt it.

You don't need a behaviorist. Your dog is doing fine.

As for the barking it could be exciting. I would just work on getting her attention and put her into obedience and reward her for that and she will stop barking and focus more on working for yoi.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."

Last edited by 4TheDawgies; 05-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page