Nipping when taking treats... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Nipping when taking treats...

Hey all! I planned on being a lot more active on these forums than I have been...but life gets in the way once again!

Bowser is 9 weeks old today. I wish I had a current pic to post...his ears are in that floppy/sticking up stage and he's growing like a weed! So precious but were starting to get into some problems.

He knows he has to sit and wait for a treat after we come in from pottying. That took a few days to get down but now he understands. The problem comes when handing him the treat. He lunges forwards and takes the treat WAY too hard. He has drew blood a couple of times now. I scream "OW" like I do if he nips too hard while playing but hes usually scarfing the treat down and doesn't seem to pay much attention. Do you have any suggestions as how to address this? I can imagine it being quite the problem when he gets a nice, adult set of teeth!

Also...house training!!! Our daily routine tends to be:
2:30 am: go out for middle of the night potty
6:30 am: wake up, go potty, eat breakfast, play time for about a hr, then potty again before I go to work

I don't have anyone to let him out for me during the day unfortunately. BUT he does FANTASTIC usually!

5:30 pm: Potty then dinner
Between 7 and 7:30 pm: another potty break
10 pm: Potty break

The problem is this...at night and on the weekends he will potty in the house EVEN if he has just been out recently. He will look at me when he's doing it and when I go to scold him, take off whimpering. If I find him hiding, I know he's done it somewhere. So he knows he's doing wrong. It amazes me that he holds it all day when I'm at work but just goes whereever when we're home together. We don't crate because he screams so loud I had neighbors in my high raise complain. He does much better staying in the bathroom with his dog sister during the day and sleeping in there with a baby gate and night light at night. Sorry if this was so here and there on explaining! I tend to ramble lol! But any suggestions for my issues are GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

i taught my pup "don't snatch". with my dog in a sitting
position i placed my left hand on his chest. with the treat
in my right hand i would raise the treat to his mouth
while holding him back with my left at the same time
i said "don't snatch". when he lunged forward i pulled the treat back
and started all over again. i forget why quickly he learned to take
things gently. when i was training "don't snatch" i would take a biscuit
and give him a tiny, tiny peice of it at a time. like anything else
we practiced/trained several times a day. i didn't want to over feed
my pup so i gave him just enough so he could taste the treat.
you can also train train him not to snatch when you're feeding
him his daily meals. hand feed him a little at each meal.

the peeing in the house when you're home the only thing
i can think of is to take hime more often. when he goes when you're home
is it just after play, just after waking up or just after a meal
or snack?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

Put the treat in the palm of your hand and make a fist, let him smell it and do not open it if he starts nipping at it, wait till he starts to lick your hand, as he is licking it slowly open your fingers to give him access to the treat. If he starts to nip though close your hand back up. Teach him that by nipping your hand he isn't going to get what he wants.

For the pottybrake, CRATE!!! I know you said he cried so loud your neighbors complained, but that will only last a few days if you do it right. Crate train him maybe on the weekends during the day so your neighbors won't complaint. Make the crate something GOOD to be in. Throw a really yummy treat in there so he is occupied with it, start only by a few minutes and then slowly increase the time he spends in there. Once he is ok with it he should not have free time around the house to give him a chance to potty any where he wants.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GSDBESTK9; 04-27-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDBESTK9 View Post
Put the treat in the palm of your hand and make a fist, let him smell it and do not open it if he starts nipping at it, wait till he starts to lick your hand, as he is licking it slowly open your fingers to give him access to the treat. If he starts to nip though close your hand back up. Teach him that by nipping your hand he isn't going to get what he wants.

For the pottybrake, CRATE!!! I know you said he cried so loud your neighbors complained, but that will only last a few days if you do it right. Crate train him maybe on the weekends during the day so your neighbors won't complaint. Make the crate something GOOD to be in. Throw a really yummy treat in there so he is occupied with it, start only by a few minutes and then slowly increase the time he spends in there. Once he is ok with it he should not have free time around the house to give him a chance to potty any where he wants.
Couldn't agree more to all of the above.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

Agree with the above regarding nipping during treat taking...

Regarding the puppy running and hiding after he's pottied in the house - he's not hiding because he knows it's wrong to potty in the house. He's hiding because you yell at him when you catch him pottying, so he thinks it's bad to potty at ALL.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to rebelsgirl
I pretty much used the same way doggiedad did. I would hold the treat under his muzzle and he'd have to bend his head down to get it. He had shark mouth when training him and this really helped him stop grabbing my whole hand when we were training. It only took a little while for him to learn he wasn't to eat my whole hand.

Do you give him something to keep him busy while in his crate? You might start by crating while you're home and then leaving for a little bit at a time so he can get used to it.

Kim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebel, RIP
Zoe "crazy girl"

R
owdy/rescue, CGC
Duke/rescue, CGC

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 AM

I had that same problem with treats. I taught him "easy" by doing the similar technique described by GSDBestK9.

During training when I'm trying to treat quickly I will push the treat into him so he is not coming at my hand to snatch it up. He has to actually move his head back slightly and open wide.

(Jerad)

Baron: Male WGSL Born 12/01/10
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Knighted Member

Talk to your neighbors if you can; explain the crate training situation.
Don't let him out of the crate while he's screeching like a banshee. Leave a nylabone or kong with him; if he's continuing to yell...tell him *shush* with a hand signal like a librarian. Give him three chances and then cover him like a parrot.

That helped for me.
The treat taking, holding in a fist method worked good. (Still does on the weasel terrier who is a freakin' viking vertically challenged snatcher)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM

When you take your puppy out to potty, make sure you allow him long enough. Some puppies go twice.

I agree - don't scold for potty accidents. If you catch the puppy going, rush him outside. If you didn't catch him in the act, its too late to scold.

Housebreaking is a hassle but it goes fast usually. Good luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

Stosh used to take my entire hand in his mouth to get the treat! I started closing my hand around a cheese stick and letting just a tiny bit out for him to nibble and said 'easy'. The more gentle he was, the more of the stick I would let out so he'd get a bigger bite. I also put tiny little treats on a spoon and he would lick them off instead of biting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page