off leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

off leash

i never put my shepherd or any of our other dogs (shih tzus) unless we are going somewhere. if i am outside playing with them i just let them out off leash same for when i let them out to do there buisness. i live intown no fenced in yard. that is just how we have raised them from a puppy. they learn the boundries of the yard and dont go passed them or even really go near them. the reason i am posting is because i dont really see anything wrong with it however i have recently been informed by a couple walking by our house that i am not a responsible owner for not having them on a leash. i dont know maybe i am missing something but i dont see anything wrong with it. i am paying attention to them and keeping an eye on them. when i have a certian tone and call them they come. if there is another dog or some other distraction i know they might want to investigate i call them and have them by my side till that other dog or whatever has passed. i guess what i am saying is it really that bad i dont put them on a leash to just take them outside to go to the bathroom and stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Master Member

My two dogs have been trained to our E-fence since we got both of them. From day one we taught them both what was expected of them when in the yard. For the first few weeks when we first got them (7 months and 5 months old) they dragged a 15ft lead behind them until we could "trust" them that they weren't just going to run away on us. They learned the whole 2 acres at my house, 2 acres at my parents house and 1.5 acres at our friends house. Now I can let me two out at 7am and they prefer to ang outside on nice days all day. I check on them every so often, and they are either on their comfy beds on the deck, sitting in the driveway watching whats going on, sitting on the 1st hill supervising the yard, or up top of the property running, playing enjoying themselves. My female would live her whole life off leash and outside in the yard if she could. She pouts when she has to come inside sometimes. My guys are only on leash when walking roads or high traffic (human/vehicle/etc) areas, going to/from vets, or the start of our field walks to ensure my "fish" do our 4 mile walk first before swimming plus I like to work on their heel/stop & sit/stay commads every walk as well. As long as you have complete control over your dogs in every situation that can arise then there is noting wrong with them off leash. If you don't have control and they are leaving the yard and bothering people, dogs, cars etc then I suggest leashing/training them. All in all they are your dogs in your yard and you can do as you please in your yard.

Last edited by Gilly1331; 04-21-2011 at 09:38 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Master Member

Well, if a person ever walks by your house (maybe with a dog or...something) and one of your dogs bites someone (or a dog), or worse, then you'll be responsible for all the medical/vet bills, other compensation (wages from lost work) and your dog may be put to sleep.

So - is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

No. You are not IF the following are true:

1. The dogs NEVER run toward barking any people.
2. The dogs are NEVER out there without a responsible adult that they listen to, 100% recall.
3. If for some reason, you cannot respond, you are relatively sure your dogs will not do anything that you will regret later.

In short, if your dogs are well trained, repect the boundaries, do not terrorize passers by, and you are out there with them, and do not run inside to grab the phone or go to the bathroom, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

i have never had a problem with people walking by and them being outside. i pretty much always notice people or other dogs before they do cause they are to busy playing or doing whatever they might be doing. and as soon as i see someone walking down the road i call them over. many times people want to meet them and pet them and i do carry leashes outside with me and that is when i put them on cause i am not going to introduce my dogs to strange people or other dogs without a leash on them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
No. You are not IF the following are true:

1. The dogs NEVER run toward barking any people.
2. The dogs are NEVER out there without a responsible adult that they listen to, 100% recall.
3. If for some reason, you cannot respond, you are relatively sure your dogs will not do anything that you will regret later.

In short, if your dogs are well trained, repect the boundaries, do not terrorize passers by, and you are out there with them, and do not run inside to grab the phone or go to the bathroom, I don't see anything wrong with it.
i would never let them outside by themself and honestly my shepherd mostly just hangsout by my side and if another dog is near by he is standing between my legs and the shih tzus are just looking at me after i call them over wonderig why i disturbed there play time they could care less that people or another dog was walking by

Last edited by 1rockyracoon1; 04-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Master Member

The annoying thing about dogs off leash is people who are walking their dogs on leash don't know if the off leash dogs are controllable and dog friendly. I wouldnt want to walk by your yard. If you are good about always having your dogs by your side and never allowing them to run up on people walking by, then I guess it's OK. Problem is I have yet to see anyone with that kind of control all the time, especially when there is more than one dog to control.

I always carry a leash with me and always put my dogs on leash when others are around because some people are scared of dogs not to mention few dogs are 100%reliable (meaning they might run up to a person especially if that person is walking a dog). It's just the polite and responsible thing to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HIC, CD, IPO 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page