Question about trainer - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Question about trainer

I have been training my GSD from a puppy. He knows basic obedience but is kinda getting bored with it. I went to the breeder of my dog, which also owns the K9 training facility in the town where I live to ask him some questions on how to keep my pup interested(Actually, he only owns part of the breeder dogs and is responsible for selling the pups). All I'm asking of the trainer is guidance and he's been helpful. He has had the dog on two separate days and got me started in the beginning but he kinda let me know in a roundabout way that he really hasn't got time to help actually train him(fine with me to let me know that). He has given me a few videos for me to show him how to build drive. The videos had some obedience and bite work. He told me not to look at the bite work on the video. I just asked him that if I ever wanted to do some bite work when would be a good time to start(don't know if I ever would but just asked). He told me never to do any kind of bite work since the dogs would be raised around our kids. I said not even for sport competition and he said no. It would completely change the dog. That kinda shocked me as I have heard that Schutzund trained dogs make the best pets. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Todd J; 04-17-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: changed wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Elite Member

and to think this guy gets paid for his apparent knowlege and experience. It doesn't appear he has much of either
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The trainer has an apparent lack of knowledge and experience working dogs in schutzhund and sport.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

My 2 cents is this.....
Schutzhund trained dogs are just as well behaved family companions as any other well trained/behaved dog.....I have several, and I have small grandchildren that practically live with us.
BUT.....I can understand the *problem* that many good trainers fear......
Having Joe novice come out to training, teach the dog *bitework*...and do nothing else with the dog....or fail to actually follow through with the hard work and dedication it takes to actually train the dog for the Schutzhund sport.
I don't know if this is his reasoning....or if he actually has no idea about canine behaviour or the sport.
JMO

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

I have seen dogs who were raised as pets. They never saw bitework and much was never "awakened" in them regarding that. With a bit of work, the spark was lit and they loved to do bitework. One was desired to be purchased for police training. So, I can sorta see that there is an approach to pet rearing where parts of the dog are kinda left undeveloped and unawakened. Perhaps he was speaking to this?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

I was at a Sch club once, just watching and learning (back when I had just found out about the sport). I walked up to a gentleman and asked if I could sit by him and his dog and ask questions while we watched. He said sure! I sat on the ground next to him and his bitch came over and plopped herself right in my lap!

As I watched the dogs doing bitework on the field and stroked the girl laying quietly in my lap I asked him tons of questions.

I was just about to ask why he wasn't participating with his dog when they called him onto the field. The girl gave me one last slurp across the face and turned to take the field ...

and instantly changed into the GSD Bitch From ****!!!

My jaw hit the ground. I would NEVER have imagined a dog that could go from cuddle bug to foaming at the mouth wanting to get the sleeve!!

When they were finished she trotted off the field with the sleeve in her mouth and dropped it almost right in my lap.

A well-bred dog with the CORRECT temperament can go from house pet to competition dog with no problems.

The bitch had her Sch2 and was getting ready for her 3.

That trainer you spoke to doesn't know squat about bite work in GOOD dogs.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

I guess in his defense he has never done anything except train for police work. He has been to Iraq and worked with dogs. I like him but he's not very motivated so I guess I will start looking elsewhere for advice. I appreciate everybody's response. Keep it coming. I'm new here.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM

" I went to the breeder of my dog, which also owns the K9 training facility in the town where I live to ask him some questions"

It's his business. Did you offer to pay him for his expertise. He did lend you tapes, did he charge you for those? Just a thought, it's only a dog question to us, but to the business man, it is his work.

Perhaps he's just not very motivated to work for free. Just a thought.

dFrost
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Question about trainer

In my original post I was just curious what people thought about him telling me not to ever do any bite work with my dog since he would be around my children. He had the pup two separate days and worked with him and I tried to pay him but he said since I purchased from him the first two sessions were free. I tried to continue the sessions but he cancelled them and acted like he didn't want to do anymore. That's actually when I started asking him for some guidance. Didn't mean to come across like I wasn't willing to pay for his knowledge.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe, he is aware of some temperament issues with your pup or her lines that if pushed might cause her to become unstable. Maybe she was sold as a pet because she was not the correct temperament for a schutzhund or police dog. And the breeder is trying to strongly encourage you against going forward with protection sport with this particular dog.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page