How I got my GSD too stop biting. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

How I got my GSD too stop biting.

*Photo Deleted*

This is the only thing that worked.

Last edited by JKlatsky; 04-17-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: * Photo Rule 15- Picture size in any post should be 800 x 600. Photos that are larger than the allowed size will be removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Banned

training works also plus it looks better.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 PM

"Time out" and a squirt bottle of water did it for us.

That pic makes me sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm very sorry that this is your first post . . . puppies biting everything is very normal and anyone who decides to get a GSD should educate themselves and be ready and accepting of the puppy biting. Going through the biting stage is very important for them to be able to explore and test their environment, develop bite inhibition, and just be a normal, happy, bouncy, growing pup. If you prevent the puppy from using his mouth in a way that nature intended to, you will have a puppy that missed out on some very important life lessons.

Pups using their mouth is like toddlers learning to use their hands to interact with the world. You wouldn't tie a toddler's hands behind their back because "they keep grabbing stuff", what you would do is suppervise the child, and give them age-appropriate toys to grab and play with. Same with pups.

When they want to bite, they want to play. It makes no sense to punish a normal puppy for acting in a normal way. The way to deal with it is to redirect to appropriate puppy toys, and play and interact with the pup. They learn that the way to get attention and fun is through playing with toys.

Lots of info here: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html

Also the muzzle you have on the pup prevents normal panting and should only be used for short periods of time, during emergencies. Please do not muzzle your dog and learn on how to deal with the biting (mostly, accept it, he will grow out of it). This pup is just too cute and adorable to not be given a chance to develop and grow normally.

I also would like to remind all following posters, as a Moderator, to post helpful information about bite-inhibition, and to avoid attacking and bashing the OP (thank you posters so far ). There is a ton of good info here, I sincerly hope that Vince hangs around for some good pointers and some support through the puppy biting phase (they DO grow out of it!!! Patience!)

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

Last edited by Castlemaid; 04-16-2011 at 10:59 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

you saw it coming. man oh man was it coming.
it could have been fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post

I also would like to remind all following posters, as a Moderator, to post helpful information about bite-inhibition, and to avoid attacking and bashing the OP (thank you posters so far ). There is a ton of good info here, I sincerly hope that Vince hangs around for some good pointers and some support through the puppy biting phase (they DO grow out of it!!! Patience!)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

I can't think of anything constructive to say to this poster. All I can say is: poor puppy.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Crowned Member

agree

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 PM

I don't think a muzzle is going to teach him anything. I'm still trying hard to teach my 3.5 month old pup to not bite down on me so much. He's beginning to understand "OFF!" slowly, but I do have a bunch of red marks and scratches on my arms and legs. It's all part of having a GSD puppy.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Crowned Member

What a beautiful pup. A muzzle will teach him nothing except that you have no patience and are not an effective leader and that life is a puppy is no fun at all.

Personally I had the best luck with redirection. When I got frustrated I took a time out from the pup and put her in a crate with a peanut butter filled kong or a bone to chew on.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 AM

This is a big problem at home!

Hachi bites like no other pup. I have tried everything, or at least I think I did, I would love more ideas... please!

I give him toys, he has tons, with different textures as well because of when he was teething. However, he seems to love to bite! How long does it take for him to grow out of it?

In a different subject almost, he bites when we try to correct him on something, not always, but for example: He was digging, my husband told him not to and grabbed his collar to put him inside, he turned and bit him too hard, it bled. Would this be considered aggressive behavior? Because this was the 3rd time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page