Two Important Puppy Training Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Question Two Important Puppy Training Questions

1. During the night should my pup sleep with me or be crated?

More information: I have a regular dog crate in the living room with toys and a comfy bed and blanket for Eva, a pet carrier thing that is currently big enough and kept in my room, or she could sleep without a crate in my bed as she generally behaves and if she needs to potty lets me know. What is the best option? I want her to be a service dog (hopefully a future K9 since I'm working to become a police officer) and have a strong sense of independence but I don't want to miss out on the true deep love of dog and owner by forcing her to sleep alone. Also, I doubt the gf would mind her sleeping in bed, even as she grows older.

2. In the midst of potty training how should I properly show my displeasure for accident in the house?

More info: Eva is only 9 weeks, and generally only makes one accident in the house a day (and i admit usually because i miss her attempt at letting me know). What I currently do is call her over, hold her by her scruff so she cant run away and point at the stain and say "no, bad girl" a couple of times. Then I make a gesture to get away, usually so i can clean up and her not be in the way. Immediately following i hold no grudge and love on her as if no accident occurred. How can i perfect this practice? Am i doing right?

Any and all advice or input on these subjects is appreciated. Thanks for reading! Eva and I both appreciate it.

Ken, father of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Blk & Red GSD pup, 2/1/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, Orange Tabby
Sam, Siamese mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Crowned Member

1. Bring the crate in your room and have the puppy in it right next to your bed.

2. Take the puppy out every hour on the hour. If needed, take her out more often than that, but not less. If she starts going in the house, pick her up immediately (she'll probably stop the second you pick her up) and bring her outside to finish out there.

Don't discipline or yell or rub her nose in it. Just bring her out there ASAP and when she finishes outside, give her a big GOOD GIRL!

Also, make sure you're cleaning the spots (assuming it's carpet) with an enzyme spray. I like the natures miracle spray best.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Crowned Member

as far as sleeping in the crate or sleeping in the bed, i would personally say the crate is the best place. It helps them learn to sleep AWAY from you which IMO helps reduce future seperation anxiety. They'll bond just as strongly whether they sleep with you or not.

as far as accidents in the house, if you catch the pup in the act, all you can do is immediately take them outside, praise if they finish outside, and clean up the mess inside with an enzyme cleaner to break up the scent so they dont continue to be drawn back over and over again to the spots they're messed. If you get angry with her over messing in the house, she'll learn to do it when you're not looking and you dont want that. It makes housebreaking more difficult. If you call your pup to you when she's in trouble it will make recall training VERY difficult. When they do ANYTHING wrong you ALWAYS go to them. otherwise they're going to learn that going to you means they're in trouble.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Elite Member

I don't correct a puppy for soiling in the house at nine weeks of age. Their accident is my bad. I praise for correct behaviors and ignore unwanted ones. Besides, correcting after the deed is done is pointless--you may just succeed in making her afraid of stains
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the feedback everyone! I will definitely change my training tendencies as I figured the disciplining wasnt the most the best way to do things.

Ken, father of:

, Blk & Red GSD pup, 2/1/2011

, Orange Tabby
Sam, Siamese mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page