Why keep the dog's crate in your bedroom....? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Why keep the dog's crate in your bedroom....?

Last night Niko was panting and panting in his crate. It was warm in the bedroom, so at first I didn't think anything of it. But after an hour of non-stop panting, I finally climbed back out of bed to take him outside. He had already peed and pooped, so I thought maybe if he just cooled off he'd feel better.

Well, he let out the longest series of farts I have ever heard come out of any living creature. And then had a puddle of diarrhea. I brought him back inside, gave him a dissolving strip of Gas-X and he went right to sleep.

I wonder what would have happened if his crate had been in a different part of the house where I wasn't aware that he was in distress? Would he have barked, even though he knows he will not get attention for barking and whining in his crate?

Anyway, I thought I'd share that story. It seems like a good argument for keeping your dog's crate in your bedroom.

And the culprit in the whole upset tummy was a mere four inches of a 12 inch bully stick. So I guess he won't be getting any more of those!

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
Well, he let out the longest series of farts I have ever heard come out of any living creature.
EXACTLY the reason Jake's kennel is in the kitchen. He lets out some poisonous clouds while sleeping. As far as 3am potty breaks go, if he has ANY discomfort in the slightest, he whines and shakes the door of his kennel until my wife wakes up (combine the facts that I'm a sound sleeper AND I'm partially deaf - I'd sleep through World War III), shoves me out of bed, and I stumble to the kitchen and let him out, and usually follow him out, just to keep him focused on doing his business. YAY! Run-on sentence! oh well.

GSD: Jake. (2008-2018)
Labrador Retriever: Spookie (adopted from local shelter)
Bengal Cat: Starbucks (rescue)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

You know, I don't think Niko likes to fart in the house. No idea why. But I'm glad of it!

Leah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Crowned Member

Have never had any issues with Micah...can't speak for him. He's not crated at night anyway. Dante is 9 months and crated, knows he won't get attention for barking/whining in the crate at night. But if he whines/barks in the middle of the night, I know he's gotta go outside. It's rare but happens.

Akira is 7 yrs, and also no house training issues. The other night for the first time in a LONG time, she came over the my side of the bed (she sleeps on the dog bed on SO's side as there is more room there) and bumped my hand repeatedly to wake me up. she NEVER does this. I was half asleep and mumbled to her to go lay back down, but she started pacing and I woke up enough to realize she probably had an upset tummy. Let her out and she did her business, and went back to sleep.

We don't have room for our crates in the bedroom, a 54" wire and extra large furrari. Nor would I want them in there.

Your post is actually exactly why I don't keep them in the bedroom, even if we had the room. Panting, farting, moving around, no thanks.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well this thread backfired on me!

Leah
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

To be fair, I do often keep young puppies in the bedroom. But I move them out just like babies move to their cribs in their own rooms.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
Well this thread backfired on me!
LOL!

If he had been in another part of the house my guess is he would have barked eventually.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

Actually this is a really good way to know a dog is bloating too.

I have dogs who will not bark or alert but will nudge. Or stare until I wake up. They have to be near me at night or else.

But for bloat alone - I think it is a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

The crate has always been in our room. He's more at ease close to us. He would flip if he was in another room at night alone-he's way to nosey and needs to know what's going on. He's 12 months now & for the last 3 months has not slept in his crate, but the door is left open & sometimes he will go in on his own. He likes to sleep in the doorway & will come & check on me several times during the night-I can hear/feel his nose resting on my pillow for a quick check & he will lay back down again.

We never play with him in our bedroom he knows it's a relaxing place to be. I also think our scent is the strongest in our bedroom-he's just at ease.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

Hondo is very quiet at night. I don't hear any 'sounds' coming from him. However, it very well could be that my husband is louder.....such is my life.

Hondo doesn't whine when he wants to go outside in the middle of the night. He sits by the edge of the bed.....inches from my face....stares a hole through my head and pants heavily in my face...no doubt killing my brain cells.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page