Training Sequence? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Training Sequence?

I've searched quite a bit on here and can't seem to find anything, so forgive me if this has been covered before...

My wife and I are expecting a GSD puppy around the end of June (she's due May 10). This will be the first GSD that we have owned and definitely the first dog that I have had an interest in training.

With that said, is there a suggested order of actions to train listed on this forum somehwere? For example, one video I have watched suggests the first thing you should teach a dog after familiarizing the dog with the clicker is the "Touch" command which can be carried over and used for training many other actions. After "Touch" I would assume that "sit", "down", "stay" and "shake" are other actions that will help to build into more complicated actions later down the line.

If you could point me in the right direction or give me any other suggestions it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 AM

Arrow This will help

first of congratulations in advance for you getting a GSD
there's a lot of technics that you can use to train GSD or any other dog, you'll just need a lot of patience and determination, since repetition is one of the key to train it. I'll give you a link of site that offers great tutorial and trainings for german shepherd puppies.
But of course feel free to browse the forum guide and look into others posts to learn more. I personally went to the site because of a friend's recommendation. It helped me a lot!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Crowned Member

A lot of people train differently, but I do not feel that the Touch command is very important as puppies. Start with teaching his/her name. Then commands such as sit, focus, come, down, and stay should all be being worked on at the same time. You won't proof any of them for months, so work on training them all. You also want to pay special attention to loose lead walking as a puppy as well. Good luck!

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

I would work on focus first. Recalling the pup to you is a life-saving important tool so that would be what I work on as well. The other commands will come, when you see a pup in the position mark it with the word, and praise.
If you are training in a "formal session" only do 5 minutes at a time for a baby puppy. This video is showing engagement, luring into positions, marking the position and recalling.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-07-2011 at 08:17 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Great replies...I completely forgot about "look" or "focus". That will definitely be an important one to teach right off the bat. Thanks for the suggestions as we anxiously await our new puppy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 AM

I like to start with the sequence of teaching name and then look and then recall as the most important the next kind of fall into place.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

In the first few weeks after I bring home a new puppy I work on teaching name recognition, reinforcing focus, short recalls, sit, down, touch, find it, and walking with me (off leash around the house) using a treat lure. I like to teach an automatic sit when I stop, and I'll introduce "wait".

I also work on retrieving by rolling a ball a couple of feet and encouraging the puppy to get it and bring it back. Tugging is good too - you can teach her to give up a toy on cue by holding a treat right up to her nose, marking it when she lets go of the toy, and then giving her the treat. I do trading games so that the puppy learns to trust me, and won't develop resource guarding behaviors.

I don't worry about stay right away, that usually follows a bit later, (although you can teach her an implied stay, where she's to remain in position until released), or tricks like rolling over or shake, but there's no reason you can't do them sooner if you want. Introduce a release command, and impulse control around food. I like this game - it's sort of a default "leave it" where the puppy learns that he can get what he wants by leaving it alone and focusing on you instead:

I use some of the puppy's daily kibble as training treats and spend some time every day working with them. Training sessions should be very short as a young puppy will have a very short attention span, and be sure to keep it FUN! Most of my training around the house is off leash, but you can have her drag a leash around to get her used to wearing it, and it's also handy to grab if she tries to wander off or you need to run her outside for a potty trip.

I don't have a particular order I teach things and I don't believe it's necessary to do one or two things at a time before adding anything else. I spend an awful lot of time just hanging out with the puppy, marking and rewarding any behavior I like and want to encourage. The more behavior is reinforced, the more likely it is to occur.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Lots of great info here: Digital Dog Training Textbook | Dog Star Daily

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page